Hi from Ontario Canada!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblesmccoy

Hi everyone! My name is Jennifer and I'm a mother of two little girls and now recently two female rats. I am new to rats and could use any tips/hints suggestions from any of you experienced rat owners. I look forward to picking your brains.!!

Hi Jennifer,

Welcome to the Shack and welcome to the world of being wrapped around tiny pink paws LOL

Tell us about your girls? Where did you get them, how old are they? What type of cage are you keeping them in, what type of bedding and what type of food(s) are you giving? Its always good to start with husbandry. As a new owner we want to make sure you have the right tools for the job LOL. Petstores will often sell you unnecessary or inadequate things for rats :)

Hi Jen! I'm also from the big O :p welcome as lilspaz suggests post some pics (everyone likes to see cute fur balls :p) and your cage setup there is a thread in here about cage setup if you need new ideas.

We got our rats from Pet Smart and they told us that they were 6-8 weeks old but they are only 10 days old to us. No pics yet, but I have a browny/grey and white one named Katy and a cream and white one named Butterscotch. Katy is warming up to us nicely but Butterscotch wants nothing to do with us. How long does it take for them to come around? Should I handle Butterscotch more to make her come around or should I give her space and time to adjust?
I am using the The Carefresh for the bottom. I am also trying litter training and having a lot of success with that! Any tips to get them to warm up to us?

Hey there I think I've given this advice before so sorry if you've read it already on a different thread but I'd put them somewhere like on a bed or couch where they can't disappear and just hang out with them, let them run around you and on you she just needs to trust you aren't going to eat her. By nature rats are pretty close to the bottom of the food chain sooooo naturally anything bigger then them seems like a potential threat. Give her time. A general pet when she climbs on you or a small treat so she knows it's a good thing to physically interact with you couldn't hurt.
Care fresh is good but most of us here use fleece blankets and a litter called "yesterday's news" for the litter box. What kind of cage are they in and do you have them on the oxbow young rat food?

Back