Intros=lots of scratches and a scared newbie

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon

Rataholic
I am putting this into its own thread since I have bebopped around looking for answers.

I have had the same 5 rats since March, when intros went fine. As of now my rat's are 10, 9, 9, 9, & 7 months. A couple of weeks ago I got 2 new hairless rats (already quarantined) and so after a few days of adjustment I began the intro processes.

I exchanged bedding and cages and so on, so it was time to move to the tub. There was a lot of sniffing and an occasional whine but not even little scuffles broke out. My whole room is not considered neutral so I moved them to the bathroom floor. Scuffles, scuffles, and a fight with 2 minor bites to Howie' s back. She is scratched up all over her back and tummy and one of the bites looks like it is trying to form a cyst. Great.

Okay so individual behaviors.
Howie-New, adult and 6 m/o. Very docile, sweet and submissive to me and the other rats.
Raj- ~10-11weeks old. Playful but sweet, minds her business and submits when needed to.

Sheldon-very accepting right away of both newbies. Really more of a dog trapped in a rat's body anyway.
Amy-mother hen. Accepting of both and very patient with Raj's antics.

Leonard-grumpy butt. No serious harm done but has pinned both new girls and made them upset.
Bernadette-closet bitch! She is so quiet but a little skittish too. Completely freaked and attacked Howie and is the one responsible for the bites. She has not gotten near Raj because I'm afraid she would hurt her.
Penny-my Alpha. Climbs all over either of them, huffs, puffs, siddles and spits. Angry. Can't even be in smelling distance without being preoccupied with them completely. She has also started smelling like corn. I thought that was only something males did?

Ask me questions if I have not given all needed information.

uploadfromtaptalk1406086757127.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1406086767571.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1406086776189.jpg

Oh and they aren't living together. I have not made it there yet. Sheldon and Amy are with the new girls in the top of the DCN and everyone else is on the bottom.

All except Leonard. He is a neutered male. He is picking on them too but doesn't seem like he wants to do real damage. Penny bit one of my girls toes through the bars last night and wouldn't let go. It bled so badly I had to use styptic.

Get that nakie a sock sweater!! I put pan guards up when I separate the cages so no tails or toes hang over into the bottom cage. I am so afraid of degloved tails, etc.

Good luck on intros....

I took the little ladder off of the dcn so they couldn't climb on to the cage but I guess they must have jumped?? :/

Would a little sweater not cause issues of its own? I have one I made for Sheldon so I could definitely use it.

I took the little ladder off of the dcn so they couldn't climb on to the cage but I guess they must have jumped?? :/

Would a little sweater not cause issues of its own? I have one I made for Sheldon so I could definitely use it.

I was trying to be funny so he/she wouldn't get so scratched up. They probably wouldn't leave it on long.

Ok so I would do a table top intro. I like table top because you are really close and they don't preoccupy themselves with trying to jump out.
Nothing on the table except for a dish of yummy wet food. See how that goes and take note of your trouble spots. Sometimes your alphas are not even the ones to be worried about.

So I did the table last night and Penny still completely attacked the new girls. I had nothing but some baby food and a towel.

I started a new session tonight and 5 minutes in Penny bit the scrap out of Raj. I feel like I must be doing something wrong. Penny is all worked up and is even getting into scuffles with the resident rats now.

Ok, I'd have an time out cage. A very tiny cage with nothing in it. No food, not water, no bedding, nothing. Put her in each time she goes to attack, but only for 10 minutes but you must be consisted. Each time she lunges and attacks, she goes in out time.

Back