URGENT/UPDATED!! 12-18 Rats in Guelph, Transport avail even to Montreal PICS

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizmo1221

PLEASE see update that I posted tonight (Aug 5). We may not have ANY homes yet for these guys, and time is ticking! :S These guys may end up in the local shelter, if they will even take them all

I am coming out of hiding (haven't visited the forum in years!) for a very worthy cause.

A friend of a friend got in touch with me, and let me know she has to get rid of her rats in the next few weeks (I won't go into details here). But there is a limited timeline for this! The reasons that the number of rats isn't nailed down is that the owner might have friends that want to take 2-3 each, but she doesn't know for sure.

They are all 7-8 months old both male and female (but have had NO contact with each other), and in good health. They look like they are all dumbo, and the boys are black berks, aside from one blue berk/self. The girls are a mix of black, beige, PEW, and a black/white combo. See pics below!

Please contact me on Facebook (name is Liz Moulton) if you want more info, or want to adopt a few! I can foster for a short time if need be, and can work on transport within SW Ontario. Please spread the word!! You never know who is looking for some small fuzzies!

rat 8.jpg

rat 7.jpg

rat 6.jpg

rat 5.jpg

rat 4.jpg

rat 3.jpg

rat 2.jpg

rat 1.jpg

Last edited:
What's the status on these little guys? Still looking for homes, or have found some? Do you know if the current owner is researching the potential adopters to make sure they go somewhere safe? They're very adorable <3 I wish I had a big house and a vet that really liked me lol, I'd rescue all I could :eek:

wish i lived closer, would totally scoop up the little un at the top or even the little blaze masked on in the hut! Sooo cute :D

I wish this post came about a month later. I'm looking to rescue some girls and they look so sweet. Unfortunately Sativa is on medication for a URI and I really want to make sure that is cleared up before taking anyone in.

I wish this post came about a month later. I'm looking to rescue some girls and they look so sweet. Unfortunately Sativa is on medication for a URI and I really want to make sure that is cleared up before taking anyone in.

We might be able to arrange for fostering in the short time you need? Contact lizmo to see what can be done. :D

I think these girls would be perfect for you trikhal :D

Hey, sorry I was away when all these messages came in!

Yes, I can arrange fostering for a time if it is needed, and I am the one handling the rehoming of these rats on behalf of the current owner. She may have a few homes lined up through her friends, but I am responsible to find homes for most of them, and putting potential homes "through their paces" so to speak to make sure they get great forever homes. :)

I think so too. Would anyone be willing to contact her for me? I don't have a facebook account.

ETA Never mind. I messaged Liz myself. What better reason to make a facebook account than to potentially adopt some sweet girls?

I didn't get a message on facebook. Maybe you messaged someone else with my name? lol

You can shoot me a PM here if that is easier for you.

Are they young or old? My boyfriend and I are tossing around the idea of grabbing another rat since jake and Norbert don't get along the vet suggested a third

They are 7 and 8 months old. Both the owner and I would like them to stay together at least somewhat, so adopters would have to get at least 2.

UPDATE!!! I hate to say it, but time is ticking for these rats, and only a few of them have homes so far. I don't want to see these guys end up in the humane society, but that is my last resort :(

I met all the lovely ratties on the weekend, and they are all amazing. The girls are on the small side, but that is normal with so many living in the top of a CN. They are adorable, playful, and once they warmed up to me, they were quite friendly. The boys are typical big, chubby, lazy boys, but they melted my heart with their cuddles and their affection. I am not used to rats staying still in my arms! They are all being taken care of very well, and the owner really cares about them, but she just can't keep them any more.

Although they may look really similar, they all have their own unique markings on their chin, neck, and belly. One of the boys has not one, but TWO adorable kissy spots :) And, of course they all have their own personalities! One of the boys is a little more energetic and adventurous, and was consistently climbing up my arms to get to the couch next to the cage! The girls are in general pretty reserved and weary (with a few notable exceptions!), but with a bit of attention and some socializing, I think they can come a long way :)

None of them were nippy or aggressive, even when nervous and apprehensive, and none are particularly bonded to each other, but they are all friends so any pair or group that goes to a new home should get along just fine :)

There are three special things I want to bring up about this case, and one is VERY good!!

1) Two of the boys are living on their own in a single level blue bottom cage. They were beaten up and traumatized by their brothers at a young age, and are now very sensitive and hand shy. They will be very nervous and may try to bite when approached in the cage, but if/when they venture out on their own, they are able to be picked up and handled just fine. They seem to be nice boys with some issues that they need help working out. They will need to go together, of course, to an experienced home who can try to rehab them, or somewhere where they can live their lives just as they are, with someone who is willing to cater to their needs. They are definitely good rats, though :)

2) I have some significant time off coming up and can arrange transport to many places in SW Ontario pretty much all of this weekend and next week! So, please, give me a reason to drive rats around to keep me busy!! :D

3) The owner volunteered (before I even brought it up!) that she would be willing to donate her double CN and the single level blue bottom cage to people who want to take on her rats!! So, if you have the time, money, and love for a bunch of new friends, but just don't have the space, this is the perfect scenario! Such a great, generous, offer. I will even lend my services to help put it together ;) If no one needs this amazing cage, then I guess we could donate it (or the funds from selling it) to a rescue :)

I will soon post a bunch of new PICS that I took while I was there, or that the owner sent me. Stay tuned, and PM me if you want more info on these ratties!

Last edited:
These rats are really running out of time aren't they?

Have you found any homes?

These poor rats, for some reason the thought of rats that are used to be treated properly having to go to a humane society or shelter makes me so sad. They will be so confused :(

I might be able to take in the pair of boys how need a bit more work..that's kind of my forte :p

I think I may have one home, and a potential foster situation, but nothing is 100% confirmed at the moment. If you can take in those 2 boys, that would be AMAZING, as I know you are the master of the "scardey rats!" Let me know about them.

We also have had an offer to transport some rats up the 401 to Montreal this weekend, so if you live anywhere along the way, this might be your lucky day!!

Liz how many would she want you to take for the DCN. I would have to talk to Aaron but I know you asked me if I could take more than 2. I can only take 2 more with my CN but Aaron may be up for more if we can use her cage.

ETA Also in answer to your question looks don't matter to me but personality means everything. I'm still really missing my Chloe (my heart rat that passed) so any lovely girls would be awesome.

Last edited:
Ohhh I wish I could take 2 boys it's amazing that my boyfriend even suggested getting a rattie friend for jake

Timing really, REALLY sucks for me, I so wish I could help with the males! I currently have 7 rats, including 2 sick oldies (cardiac issues and PT) that require me almost full time when I am home, I am exhausted to no end and NEED to get my number down... but I know that once Jay passes, I won't want Totoro to get the harem all to himself. But I'm too exhausted (and disgusted, I have to admit) to consider an addition right now, with the extra cage to care for and the intro to go through (since I would of course go for one that has issues, I know myself...) :(

On a different note, one of those black berks look exactly like my sweet adorable Totoro... :heart:

So, it looks like LilSpaz will the taking the 2 difficult boys in once we can arrange transport, so that little problem looks like it is solved!

Unepuce, don't feel bad if you are not in a place to take in rats at the moment. Everyone understands and does not blame you for that. Those that have owned rats for long enough have all been there, I think. You just gotta focus on your current rats and yourself right now.

Littles, I have 5 males that are not spoken for right now, and 2 or 3 of them will be going into foster sometime in the next couple of weeks. If you would like to adopt a couple, that would be amazing, but only if it is ok with everyone in the household and youself, of course. Let me know :)

Next post will be PICTURES!!!

Picture time!! The really nice ones were previously taken by the owner, and the obviously amateur ones were taken by me on my phone, lol.

The first post is pics of the female rats!! I wanted to try and show off the different patterns and individual markings of them all. They are really interesting!

Next post is the males!

20140801_204849.jpg

20140801_204543.jpg

20140801_204742.jpg

female 4.jpg

female 1.jpg

female 3.jpg

female 2.jpg

Back