One of my boys is looking skinny, concerned

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fox

in a box
Two of my rats are brothers, Nova and Mira, who I estimate as about a year and a half old. They are both big guys and were consistently kind of chubby for the time I had them until recently when Nova dropped a bit of weight. It wasn't rapid and he hasn't lost any more since I noticed it, but he's looking a bit bony and it worries me. I have been making sure food is available to him at all times and offering him alone more treats than usual and I haven't seen any difference, though it is only been a week that I am actively trying to get him to put on weight.

How concerned should I be? Is this cause for an emergency trip to the vet? I was planning to take him in at the next check (in two weeks from now), but of course if the situation warrants or if he gets any thinner or shows any other symptoms I'll absolutely take him in sooner.

You really need to get a kitchen scale or postal scale, preferably one that measures in grams and start weighing him everyday at around the same time. This will give you an idea of how much weight he is losing. I don't think you need an emergency trip to the vet if he isn't showing other symptoms, but I do think something is probably wrong. Have you rat phoned him? Do his lungs sound clear? Have you felt him all over for lumps? Have you checked inside his mouth for overgrown teeth? You can try feeding him some baby cereal mixed with ensure. You could see if you can move your appointment up.

My rats only seem to lose weight when they have a pituitary tumour (brain tumour) or a tooth problem. They may very gradually lose weight when they are quite old, but it is a slow thing, and it is more condition vs actually getting skinny.
One of my girls I thought was losing weight because her backbone and hips were more prominent, but it was actually bone cancer instead.
Sorry, everything seems negative...
I do weigh my rats on a somewhat regular basis. My girl Dixie looked skinny so I weighed her and she had lost 70 grams! Then I watched her mannerisms and realized she probably had a PT. The vet agreed, and she is now on Cabergoline and it has been two months. She has gained back the weight and is looking much better. :)

If there are no obvious other symptoms, I would probably keep a close eye on him. But if you are seeing squinting, loss of appetite, dragging the back end, excess porphyrin, I'd probably do a vet check.

Taking my boy to the vet today. There are no other clear symptoms but I know my boy and he just doesn't seem like himself. I'll post how it goes!

Edit: make that tomorrow, I had to make an appointment and there was no availability today.

Last edited:
Took him to the vet today. Had another rat checked up too, ended up paying $400 for the whole visit. :eeek: But of course it is worth every penny to keep my boys happy and healthy.

His lungs and heart looked abnormal(essentially it wasn't in the right spot.. eek!). I was told there's probably fluids in the lungs, and as for the heart, there might be a tumor pushing it(but they can't really know for sure). :pale: His breathing also was found to be somewhat labored, so the vet said the most likely prognosis is pneumonia and growths on the lungs from mycoplasmosis. I guess him generally not feeling well may have caused a loss of interest in food and thus the weight loss.

Oh, and he also has arthritis.

My poor little guy. He's going to be on antibiotics long term.

Last edited:
If the heart was enlarged and there was fluid in the lungs, that could indicate congestive heart failure. Just a thought...
I hope you can get him comfortable.

I hope you get a combination of meds like Baytril and Doxy or Baytril and Zithromax. I've had a few rats come out of pneumonia. How old is he?

I sure hope it's not congestive heart failure :( I don't think the vet mentioned his heart being enlarged though, just that it wasn't quite in the right spot... but now I'm hazy on what she said due to the worry

I estimate he is about 1.5 years old, and he was prescribed baytril, doxycycline, and meloxicam

Thank you, I took him to Ness Exotic Wellness Center

Who did you see Golan or Ness? You had x-rays done didn't you. I only have them done if it will change the course of treatment and/or after the first treatment we try doesn't work. Did you like them? Really, its never that expensive - next time ask if the treatment will change if the test is done - usually it won't so there is no need to pay for them.

How is your rattie feeling?

Back