Intros & my ratties

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer

I posted this in the Quick Questions thread but I wanted to make my own thread so I could add photos and document my progress :)

I currently have the two new comers (mommy and baby) in a separate Rat Manor across the room from the CN which houses the home team. Baby rat is about 6 weeks old.
They've been home 3 nights.

- How long should I wait before putting the cages next to each other?

-AND HOW LONG BEFORE BATH TUB INTROS?

-Should I try to bond them with me before intros? They are nice rats they just don't know me well :3

Im SOOOO excited to get them all together but I dont want to rush.

I would put the cages next to each other right now and start intros once baby is 8 to 10 weeks old. If you have gentle resident rats, then start at 8 weeks old.
Doing intros won't prevent them from bonding to you so no worries about that. :)

Here is everyone checking each other out. They got SUPER hyperactive for a while.
aqeba4a8.jpg

Since yesterday Momma rat spends most of her time huddled on the top level by herself, and baby doesn't want to leave the hidey. I don't see them playing or cuddling I'm also having a really hard time getting them out of the cage. They were a lot more social and well handled at the rescue home
Should I be concerned?

Exciting , the littlest one should be close to 8 weeks now, I'll try intros soon. I'll take a picture later and maybe y'all can tell me if she looks big enough

I'll give it a shot tomorrow and keep a close eye on any squabbling. Fingers crossed !

Today I tried tub intros

-everyone ignored each other because they were way more interested in escaping the scary bathtub
-my boy rat accepted the situation and stared blankly
-eventually everyone started sniffing each other
-then this happened (see photo)
-now they are alternating between bruxing, cuddling, grooming and chattering

I can't tell between their stress noises and happy noises but no fights have broken out

The "babies" seem to be getting along the best (pew & smaller Himalayan) which I'm grateful for because that's the whole reason I wanted another young'n in the first place
qutebuba.jpg
emaduha7.jpg

Last edited:
I'll try again tomorrow. Everything went great. How many sessions like this should I go for ?

Back