Lucky ? - July 2014

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temblabamomo

As many of you already know, sweet Lucky lost his fight last night after a week long battle with complications from what likely began as a tooth abscess. So much happened this past week, but his life story had so much more to it than this recent sad ending, and I wanted to share it for anyone interested to read. Sorry it's such a long read:

EDIT: none of my post came through :/ Pls delete thread.
EDIT: Take Two! This is the somewhat condensed version:

As far as I am told, this is Lucky’s tale: He was born as feeder rat, and like so many, found himself in a snake’s tank. Fate interjected and he was not eaten. Up on CL he went as “free feeder or pet”. He was claimed by S, our VB hoarder, and became one of the many packed into her home. When the lady of NHR (a rat overpopulation situation we helped out with last summer) decided to help S, Lucky was one of the rats who she took from the house.

In his new home, Lucky was put with a group of boys who beat up on him, then found himself living alone in a hamster cage. After defending his territory during an improper introduction, during which he tore open the face of another rat, the NHR lady berated him, screamed at him, smacked his cage and basically scared the living daylights out of him. He never let her touch him again, and developed a fear-biting problem. L and I offered many times to take Lucky and work with him, but the lady refused to give him up. It broke my heart to leave him there the last day we were there to sort babies, but the repercussions would have been bad. Then, one day in August, I got the glorious phone call from L: "I have Lucky. When can I bring him to you?" Apparently he bit the woman one time too many, and she finally gave him up.

Lucky’s trust was not earned easily, but he is to be commended for his willingness to give humans a second chance after all he’d been put through in this world. An easy neuter solved his issues with other rats, and Lucky became part of a happy trio which included himself, Helo and Sidney. After Helo left us, Lucky and Sidney became close pals. He learned to trust, to love, to enjoy things like playtime and lap time. He even learned to popcorn somewhat awkwardly. He preferred to be left to enjoy playtime on his own, but there was never a day that went by when he wouldn't come to me and place his little hands gently on my leg to say hello. I loved the gentle way he did this, just as I loved his delicate pink flower petal ears and his round little tummy.

Both of his previous homes were raided by animal control earlier this year at different times. The fate of all those rats was not a happy one, although their suffering is finally over. “Lucky” was certainly an apt name for my little fellow who evaded death and/or other bad fates so many times. When it came to his last surgery, Lilspaz summed it up best though: we know there ARE miracles out there, it just wasn’t Lucky’s turn. It was time to pass his good luck on to another rat in need. Lucky was with me for 11 happy months. He adored Sid - always gave him baths, snuggled him, followed him during out time; Sid was his safe place and I'm so glad they were friends.

Rest well sweet Lucky <3
p1011458.jpg

With his new pals (l - r) Helo, Sid & Lucky
wpid-p9120888.jpg

Last edited:
I am so sorry about Lucky and I would have loved to read your memorial. Is there a way to re-post it somehow?

My thoughts are with you and again, I am so sorry. :(

As many of you already know, sweet Lucky lost his fight last night after a week long battle with complications from what likely began as a tooth abscess. So much happened this past week, but his life story had so much more to it than this recent sad ending, and I wanted to share it for anyone interested to read. Sorry it's such a long read:

EDIT: none of my post came through :/ Pls delete thread.

Aww hunny, take your time with his memorial. It might be too soon after the wars you went through with him.

We'll be waiting to read it and celebrate his life when you can.

P.S. I often put my important posts on Word and then copy and paste it here, so I cannot lose them with an errant keystroke on RS...I have done that too many times!

Take your time luv! It was a long stressful last few weeks with sweet Lucky! Take some time for you and we'll look forward to a wonderful recap of that handsome boys life when you have had some time for you!!
[emoji72][emoji176][emoji242]

ETA: Lucky certainly was just that Lucky! ! To have had you, your compassion and the love of the other boys!

Last edited:
What a journey for Lucky! I'm so glad he finally, finally came under your wing and learned to love and live happily with other rats and people. His miracle was his journey to his forever home. He was very aptly named, indeed!

Oh my god, just read your memorial and I feel so much for Lucky...what a horrible series of events he went through...I still cannot understand why a woman who would scream at a rat and smack his cage would refuse to give him up?? Oh the things I would love to do to that woman for psychologically scarring Lucky that way. Deep breath.

I would love to see more photos of Lucky if you have some..he is so sweet looking in that top photo, peeking out on the world, with his precious teddy bear ears and tummy. So happy that he found love and safety and the company of good rat friends. He certainly deserved it. Rest well and run free sweet Lucky. You will not be missed. :flowers:

Thank you for sharing such a lovely tribute/memorial for Lucky.
He sounds like a very special boy ... a keeper and a heart rattie ....
So glad that he was able to experience friends, love, and good care ...
I am so very sorry for your loss

Back