How can I get my rat to stop chewing on my mattress?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lourice

Is there a spray or something i can use that will make my rat no longer feel the need to chew on my damn mattress?

I have already put cardboard along every corner. I've given him a huge blanket to rip apart and play with, which he does, but then somehow always goes back to chewing the mattress.

I "ground" him as soon as i see him doing it, but i feel like he really doesn't get what's happening. I do this by putting him back in his cage without a treat, but i think he likes being in his cage...

my rat is too smart for his and my own good.

what do i do

Sheldon's recommendation may help. Aside from finding a way to completely block their access to the mattress, you may find a determined rat is very, very determined.

Where do your rats have their playtime? Is the bed their play space, or do they have free range of the entire bedroom? If so, and if the mattress is that much of an issue, you may want to try covering a sofa or large table with a blanket and their toys.

I have seen plastic corner guard things on motel beds before. Not sure why they have them. But maybe there is something like that that you can order?

I had a rat chew his way into my old mattress. Had to gut the mattress to get him out. During the time I was waiting to buy a new (cheap) mattress to replace it, I bought a plastic storage container from walmart and basically cut it down to just a corner that would fit the corner of mattress where the hole was and cover it. It wasn't the neatest thing but it worked for a while.

I dunno - When I bring my rattie(s) in the bedroom w/ me, I have trained them that they are not allowed to get off of ME LoL!
None are chewers ( outside the cages anyways ) so I have not had that problem. Best of luck!

I used bitter spray for a bit on my stuff worked actually that stuff is nasty lol you can buy it at the pet store :) my rats liked drywall

My rats free range in my bed room and they completely took it over. They ate my shoes my clothes, my boyfriends shoes and clothes, oppps. So I ended up getting roll aways and totes to put literally all my stuff into. My mattress is brand new so I am hoping they stay far way. I made my whole closet into a free range area, and they really like that, there are a lot of levels, a built in shoe rack, bars to slide up and down like fire fighters, kid you not, so cute. Soo hopefully they stay well entertained with that. I hope you find some luck with your mattress gobblers!

I used bitter spray for a bit on my stuff worked actually that stuff is nasty lol you can buy it at the pet store :) my rats liked drywall

Probably a good idea to do a small test spot first before spraying the mattress. I coated the wires on my keyboard/mouse/etc... on my desk with bitter apple and the rats ended up going for the wires even more after - crazy things didn't know they weren't supposed to like the taste.

Rats need to get out and run, play, climb and explore, as well as to interact with you.
It is important to give them a play area/free range area that is safe where they can not get into anything you don't want them to.
People have come up with various play areas and ways to make them safe/rat proof

There should be a few threads with ideas.
My suggestion would be not to allow your rats access to the mattress .... I wouldn't uses sprays etc
Chewing a hole in your mattress is normal behavior, give them other things to chew and as I mentioned, don't let them have access to the mattress.
good luck

Rats need to get out and run, play, climb and explore, as well as to interact with you.
It is important to give them a play area/free range area that is safe where they can not get into anything you don't want them to.
People have come up with various play areas and ways to make them safe/rat proof

There should be a few threads with ideas.
My suggestion would be not to allow your rats access to the mattress .... I wouldn't uses sprays etc
Chewing a hole in your mattress is normal behavior, give them other things to chew and as I mentioned, don't let them have access to the mattress.
good luck
Yeah. My rats free range on my bed, if they chew a bit, I know it's normal. Also, is your rat alone?

Hey guys sorry only got a notification now about this thread I'm not a 100% positive but in pretty sure it was for cats. The vet gave it to me after a rats surgery. I accidentally had some on my hands once and ate some of it it's super gross

Hey guys sorry only got a notification now about this thread I'm not a 100% positive but in pretty sure it was for cats. The vet gave it to me after a rats surgery. I accidentally had some on my hands once and ate some of it it's super gross
I'd just be afraid it could poison a rat.

Well my vet gave it to me so I doubt it would be it's made up of natural ingredients I recall :p

Back