Honorary rats? New update, new cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopefloats

Not active.
Ok so they baby mice. I was called by a family member who found these four little guys, looks to be 2 girls and 2 boys behind her van in her drive-way. I hate mice, I honestly will scream like a girl if I see on in the house... Not even kidding on that one. Sadly since I knew they were alive an helpless I asked my daughter if she was up to feeding them every 3 hours :)

and of course my animal loving daughter is. We recieved them last night and they seem to be strong. Chirping, calling for momma i am sure but holy cow they sound like little bats!

10380995_10152206441876409_3075494070398119844_n.jpg

Here is their youtube debut.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPVX8aVgAv8[/ame]

Last edited:
Aw they are adorable! How awful they were orphaned. It's great of you to help them even though you're not a mouse person. I can relate; I have a weird fish phobia but if I found one abandoned I'd probably still try and find someone to care for it (while holding it's bowl at arms length and crying hysterically and screaming "don't jump, don't jump!" . . . But who's ever heard of finding an abandoned fish? Honestly, I think it's too late for me to post anything coherent.

I'm so glad the mice are doing well. I've heard it's very rare for orphaned mice and rats to survive even with human intervention.

Are they wild or domesticated? My brother once found a family of wild mice inside a car when he went to change the person's oil. The babies already had their eyes open, etc. He put them in a tank and brought them home until they got bigger and then released them (he didn't have them long).

My sister loves mice so we had them as kids. She started with Minnie and I got Misty to be Minnie's friend. Misty got really fat - Minnie wasn't a Minnie.... and knowing nothing about mice at the time and about 30 babies later.... Yea, pretty used to mice!

Wild mice. I am not fan of any mice but ya know LOL I couldnt say no to a baby. So far they are still alive, my daughter is half dead waking to feed them every 3 hours but she is doing it.

Oh my gosh,they are so sweet and cute as buttons! I would not even hesitate to take in orphaned baby mice...they are so vulnerable and need help. I am so glad you are taking care of them! So precious! To me, mice just seem like smaller versions of rats, so I have always found mice to be adorable, just like ratties. :)

But, yes, even if there was an animal I had a phobia of or was not comfortable with, I would still not be able to just leave them on their own if they needed help. I hope these sweet little guys do well and survive! Let us know how it goes?

My girl is so exhausted from getting 3 or four hours of sleep at a time but there are the little ones yesterday....

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWiGpvqUG-w&list=UU0OVjeYhGVNAhdliNQIdUXA[/ame]

all their eyes have opened and today she started smearing formula on a lid to feed them. She is over protective she does not want them to aspriate the formula so she is smearing it slightly on it LOLOne baby has it's eyes closed still but the others all have their eyes open. We have given them toilet paper rolls and they run all over them.

I cannot believe they have all survived so far. I thought for sure they would die. They were very weak the first day but as you can tell that is no longer the case.

Holy Adorableness is right! Such sweet little things! Oooh, I wish I could pick them up so bad and give them kisses!

I am so happy to hear they seem to be doing well! I was worried they might not make it either, so this makes my day! :balloons3:

So the babies are beyond weaning age and have been split up. Sadly one of the boys died it was paired perfectly two boys and two girls. So with splitting them up we had a boy alone. We opted against releasing them because well they will just die out there and I just couldnt do it. I have been speaking to a group who rescue white footed mice/deer mice and they generally recommend not releasing them unless they are unhappy. So far that isnt the case. The two girls are living in a 106qt bin cage so they have plenty of leg room to run around. I had to figure out how to keep the boy "Bucky" since I wasnt sure if he would be happy alone. I guess they do not do well living alone like our rats.

We took in 3 pet mice females to make intros/life easier. Since they are different species they cannot breed so that is why girls were picked.

Bucky and his girls
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9EN-Qeuvoo&list=UU0OVjeYhGVNAhdliNQIdUXA[/ame]

and his two sisters
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSciPw1cftE&index=4&list=UU0OVjeYhGVNAhdliNQIdUXA[/ame]

We fixed the martins cage so they can live in it since I will not put rats in here ever again. I hate this cage to say the least. Loved it at first but cleaning it is a chore. Mice are smaller so they wont mess it up as much as rats did.

10559886_10152275222511409_5097651214664449654_n.jpg

10471274_10152275222446409_4030737827365853776_n.jpg

10385297_10152275222391409_4830474705438705551_n.jpg

From what I have seen there are quite a few rescuers out there who take them in and hand raise them when they are found. Not as many as with our ratties but there is still people out there who do it. We named bucky after the person we have been talking to about them for weeks. THe name just seemed to fit him perfectly.

Hey, fantastic to see your mouse kiddos are doing well! I am so sorry about Bucky's brother passing away. :(

So glad Bucky has some new playmates and he looks like he is having a ball! Loved the videos..your little girl spinning around on her flying saucer, loved it!

Glad things are looking good for your bubs and boy their housing looks so spacious and fun for them! I have never had mice before but I think they are adorable. Would not mind having some some day, if my path ever crosses with some babies in need/rescue situation. Thanks for the update!

I would never want a mouse on my own but since these guys came to me we are now mice owners. My daughter has always wanted mice so that is a plus for her LOL

It took bucky a few days to adjust to such a large cage but he is liking it now.

10519653_10152280688026409_2132066500421933746_n.jpg

Bucky
10552377_10152280710861409_6152173923595984105_n.jpg

10501857_10152280908906409_7576830249895376573_n.jpg

10563225_10152280908951409_7141539272820283014_n.jpg

he is molting his fur :)
10488090_10152280908991409_2290103766255435611_n.jpg

That is jane in the back. She sits there all day watching them. It is funny the mice do not care but she will not stop. I even resorted to a spray bottle to stop her and she just looks at us like we are mad LOL

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOjlXpOdIjI[/ame]

This is the girls jumping. She is such a jumper it is insane to watch how gracefully they jump. I had to catch her one day not fun!

I am considering putting a piece of wire on the floor of the martins and putting these two in the top. I can make it secure enough but they jump straight up so they can get out of the bin cage easily. I can make it secure enough to keep them away from the boy down in the bottom. I have plenty of wire :)

These kiddos are really cute! Bucky is a lil precious and I loved that photo of Jane just staring...ha ha. I am sure she is thinking, "Mmmm...lunch...I must have him..I will wait..." :D

Back