• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Rat Shack and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Considering Selling Hammocks

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumblesquid

First thing first, I have a question. I need to know how to charge for shipping! I'm thinking of charging a flat rate of 5 US dollars, for anywhere in the continental US. Should it be more expensive to ship to Canada? I'm also thinking of buying a scale, and collecting boxes, so I can just use the shipping calculators online. Shipping fees just seem like such a hassle to figure out, gah! Any advice from you guys would be appreciated.

So anyways, here is some of my work! Please let me know if you think it looks good enough to sell, or if you have advice on pictures. It's hard to show them off, honestly. Prices below!

1. Blue polka dotted flat and triangular prism with 1 entrances
14397355113_b00851444c_z.jpg

2. Plaid and red fleece rectangular prism with 3 rectangle entrances
14373854031_2827134cf9_z.jpg

3. Sweet Birds flat and triangular prism with 2 entrances
14354097956_bdb43e1b92_z.jpg

4. Green and blue cube with 2 round entrances
14190571308_a13350a286_z.jpg

5. Brown dinos flat, brown dinos triangular prism with 2 entrances, and a yellow dinos cube with 3 entrances of different shapes
14375740912_cbe45c7785_z.jpg

6. Unique patterned flat and a rectangular prism with 3 entrances of different shapes
14190628450_359e8b8aaf_z.jpg

I should add that my hammocks are almost always reinforced with stitching on the panels of cubes and triangular prisms, to keep them together longer (pesky chewers, grrr). I also go back and forth when sewing, to tie a lot of knots in the stitches. There are some honest mistakes in my hammocks, but I wouldn't sell them if they weren't up to quality. Little mistakes include corners that don't match up perfectly, and having to go back over stitches. They are made of fleece and fabric prints, either plain cotton or flannel.

I have donated hammocks for years while I practiced and practiced, I think it's time to start supporting myself! I hope you like them.

Last edited:
No idea how to answer you. I just wanted to comment that your stuff looks really great!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I should add that my hammocks are almost always reinforced with stitching on the panels of cubes and triangular prisms, to keep them together longer (pesky chewers, grrr). I also go back and forth when sewing, to tie a lot of knots in the stitches. There are some honest mistakes in my hammocks, but I wouldn't sell them if they weren't up to quality. Little mistakes include corners that don't match up perfectly, and having to go back over stitches. They are made of fleece and fabric prints, either plain cotton or flannel.

I have donated hammocks for years while I practiced and practiced, I think it's time to start supporting myself! I hope you like them.

Those look great! love the ideas! I would actually say to sell the "not so perfect" items too!...you can just apply a discount price for the ones you yourself do not deem up to quality :) mistakes will happen, its human :)

As for pricing and shipping, I cannot really help too much, only that I have loved the items created by other members too, but I also end up going back to TheLittleRedLadybug, if I make a purchase of $60 or more, I get free shipping to Canada (she is in Florida)...and her prices I find to be very reasonable...Maybe look to other sites of hammock sellers and makers to gage what price range you would like to offer, but it would also have to work in your benefit too, you would want to at least make back enough to cover fabric, and at least a lil to go into your own pocket :)

I love your hammocks! You can ask Petunia about shipping cost I think she has a very good idea.. Pm her!

Thanks Sheldon!! Glad you like my stuff :)

To NeeNee - Oh, I plan to sell hammocks with small imperfections. I just keep the ones for myself that are too noticeable / overall mistakes. I'm happy that you like my work, too! I will probably charge a dollar or two over what the material cost was. I usually spend less than 5 dollars per yard on everything, so things should be pretty darn cheap. :)

Hopefloats, thank you! I hope they are still lasting, lol, with all of your chewing machines. I will PM Petunia now.

To dspch911 - Yeah! Flat rate! The only reason I wouldn't is because hammocks are soooo light, and flat rate is better for heavy things. Last time I mailed donation hammocks the guy said it was cheaper just to use a regular box :/

I don't know much about prices, but those look better then any ones I've seen in a store! I would definitively buy one without hesitation, mostly if they were cheaper then some story hammocks I've seen :)

~PRICES!~

Yep! I figured out prices for my hammocks. Shipping will be calculated individually over email.

Here are the prices for the hammocks themselves:

1. Blue polka dotted flat and triangular prism with 1 entrances - 7 USD for the triangle, 3 USD for the flat, 9 USD for them together. - TAKEN

2. Plaid and red fleece rectangular prism with 3 rectangle entrances - TAKEN

3. Sweet Birds flat and triangular prism with 2 entrances - 7 USD for the triangle, 3 USD for the flat, 9 USD for them together.

4. Green and blue cube with 2 round entrances - 7 USD

5. Brown dinos flat, brown dinos triangular prism with 2 entrances, and a yellow dinos cube with 3 entrances of different shapes - 3 USD for the flat, 7 USD for the triangle, 7 USD for the cube, 16 USD for them together - TAKEN

6. Unique patterned flat and a rectangular prism with 3 entrances of different shapes - 2 USD for the flat, 7 USD for the rectangular prism - TAKEN

Email at [email protected] if interested! First come, first serve!

Last edited:
ooooh ooh can I have #1 along with #2?

I'll be emailing you but I wanted to call dibs if I could LOL

honestly your prices are too low for the amount of work that goes into these! I should know, I make hammocks myself. ;-)

So I made a website! It's a work in progress, but new hammocks are up with prices. Yes, I decided to raise my prices a tad because I realized $7 for a cube wasn't cutting it. So now they should be around $10.

http://fumblesfuzzbeds.weebly.com/index.html

If you want to order, the shopping cart isn't set up right now. Please email me or use the contact form!

I should get the shopping cart working with paypal soon, I just need to decide on committing the $30 for the upgraded weebly account. Then I can add more than 5 products for sale, too.

Sorry! I ended up taking down the page, it was just a hassle to set up the shopping cart. It wouldn't let me have all the features unless I paid $29 per month. Kind of a rip off for selling hammocks. There will be an etsy site up soon, hopefully!!!

So, made an etsy page. We'll see how I like this site! So far so good. I would appreciate it if someone from the shack tried to order something (only if you really want it), just so I can learn the etsy process of shipping.

Here it is: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FumblesFuzzBeds

Please be patient! I am so new to businesses. If someone has extra time and doesn't mind giving me some suggestions for the etsy shop, I'd appreciate that. Petunia is being patient with me and teaching me the hell of shipping, lol. I feel so nervous but I'm trying to be thorough and on top of things. Thank you all.

I got my hammocks just a couple minutes ago and they are wonderful! Very well made and the perfect sizes :D. I will post some pics when I do cage cleans this weekend! I'm sure they will love them.

Back