Wound example pictures

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon

Rataholic
I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where we post pictures of wounds that have been specifically identified. This way others can compare and get a good idea of what they might be dealing with if they have an unidentified wound on their rat.

STERILE ABSCESS from a retained suture/suture reaction after a spay. <3 weeks post-op.

Last edited:
Good idea. I bet Shelagh can fill this bad boy up with everything. She does so much better at documenting it all than I do. Maybe make it a Sticky Jo?

Subscribed, hoping I'll find some images of healthy- or -not neuters so I can compare. Awesome thread idea!

OK the problem with neuter pics and my vet is that the incision is sooo tiny you cannot see it LOL I can dig out some not-so good neuter pics though, from different vets.

My vet

Lambertincisionnightofoct23.jpg~original

Wilbur after seeing The Butcher (these 2 poor boys were given too much gas anesthetic). I thought we were going to lose Wilbur :(

Wilburafterhisneuter.jpg~original

A bad neuter with a vet at the clinic (he's gone from the clinic now), you can see the swelling and the trauma of the tissues.

apr19Tychsballs.jpg~original

5 days later still swollen and bruised...I was very lucky he didn't abscess.

apr23Tychpostneuter5days.jpg~original

It took almost a month before he was all healed up.

may23Tychpostneuteronemonth.jpg~original

Last edited:
Signs of pain after a spay is moving restlessly but more obviously sucking in the belly and/or twisting and stretching out awkwardly...its called the owwie stretch. These rats need pain meds ASAP.

This is Aura after her emergency spay, its usually not as extreme as this...within 20 mins after getting her metacam she never did this again.

Owwwweeeeee.jpg~original

After a neuter, they may press their belly and bits to the ground, stretch out on their side so nothing touches a surface, move restlessly and do owwie stretches like young Goliath does here

goli-owwiestretchapr11.jpg~original

Blurry, sorry. Wolfie's neuter incision. I think the experts agreed it was high up. Neuter was the least of his worries thought when he suffered metacam toxicity and his kidneys shut down. Pulled through after days at the vet and the largest vet bill I've ever had to this day. Worth every penny though :)
zumuqu9a.jpg

Signs of pain after a spay is moving restlessly but more obviously sucking in the belly and/or twisting and stretching out awkwardly...its called the owwie stretch. These rats need pain meds ASAP.

This is Aura after her emergency spay, its usually not as extreme as this...within 20 mins after getting her metacam she never did this again.

Owwwweeeeee.jpg~original

After a neuter, they may press their belly and bits to the ground, stretch out on their side so nothing touches a surface, move restlessly and do owwie stretches like young Goliath does here

goli-owwiestretchapr11.jpg~original
These are the worst pictures I have ever seen!!! Clark did this when his neuter go infected and it is just dreadful to watch.....

I can't get a better picture of my guy's neuter, he absolutely PANICS if I try to hold him on his back :( I got my girl's spay stitches though
uramy6er.jpg
1 week and a day post op

Nice work by your vet :) It looks like he used internal dissolvable stitches and glue on the outside, not stitches that will need removing. :)

I can't get a better picture of my guy's neuter, he absolutely PANICS if I try to hold him on his back :( I got my girl's spay stitches though
uramy6er.jpg
1 week and a day post op

Darby had some horrible black good cyst-y type tumours removed from her chest last month. The vet warned me she may have a 50 % chance of getting through the surgery and if there wasn't enough skin to close the incision on her chest that we would have to euthanize on the table. My vet did a fantastic job!

The day before the surgery it was going to rupture

May2814Darbychesttumour.jpg~original

After the removal

May31Darbyincisions.jpg~original

A few days ago I found the lumps were back and they felt very attached on her chest...I was sure her tumours were back, since they were not your normal mammary tumours at all, and most likely were malignant and aggressive. I was wrong thank the rat gods!

On July 1st you can see that its opening up, but there was no smell of infection which made me rule out anything but a tumour stretching open the tight skin/incision

Jul114Darbychesttumoursopeningup.jpg~original

July 3rd I saw it was open even more, and encouraged her to rear up in her cage...I saw something that made my heart jump with happiness

Jul314DArbysabscesspreflush.jpg~original

I was able to squeeze out a big ball of cheesy pus..this was barely half of it.

Jul314Darbysabscesspus.jpg~original

Then I flushed it a few times with saline, which I will do twice a day until it heals up...hopefully never to return!!

jul314darbysabscessflushedday1.jpg~original

AVULSION (basically a deep laceration) to shoulder/upper back during introductions gone wrong.
y3anajug.jpg

After using steristrips to close the wound
muhy3yhy.jpg

I should note that though I do not have a picture of it, I had to use a light body wrap to keep her from opening the wound up again. She doesn't/didn't mess with it but the stress and stretch of twisting her body around just pulled the strips apart if the wrap was not on.

Update 8/13/14
6 days later put in sutures.
3ura5y7u.jpg

6 more days later with sutures removed. I couldn't get her to sit still for this one. The wound has closed nicely and is almost healed.
ne6udaqa.jpg

Last edited:
*shudder* those wound pics really make me cringe Sheldon. Thank goodness you're knowledgeable in wound care; it looks good now considering how bad it was.

Little Mo's incision from his tumor removal. Surgery day, and 2weeks later:

4aqa2u5a.jpg

yzyva8ad.jpg

Back