Squeeker sque sque squeeken

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leukloki

Or in English Hello Every body!
I am not a first time rat mommy, in fact that is what my own mommy always kept as a pet as well. I come from a long line of rat lovers and have recently started up the practice again.
My girls are big Momma and Kiwi, Kiwi is her baby, and in the space of time between me trying to get Momma and Kiwi, Momma had four litters!
*Dont worry!* I had a talk with the owners and set them up with separate homes for the boys and girls and now there are no more problems... all rats have been re-homed :)
Momma (hasn't been properly named yet I guess) has some body stress issues but is an amazing cuddly girl, she was bred multiple times to a rex, and her daughter (Kiwi) is a curly haired all white girl. Momma loves belly rubs and Kiwi sneezes due to living in fresh pine shavings (her sneezes sound like shes saying Kiwi hehe) Kiwi has finished her bout of anti-biotics and is feeling great! She has learned how to come to her name and is even climbing around like a nutter!
We are a very happy rat family and are incredibly impressed with this site :) Can't wait to post some pictures and see some of yours! Love the rats page with the names and pictures Gah! Can't wait to show off my girls :)

Thank you guys!

Hey guys! Since I have written this my rat family has grown!
Like I said before mommy had several litters...well! about 5 more of them were brought back to the store and I couldn't let them go!
Here are the first two-
Mommy
872a6bd1-78c3-4db2-83d2-977bd42382ac_zps72b47184.jpg

Kiwi
b9d4dcb1-a7fc-421e-a829-575b5ec49cfa_zps25746b64.jpg

Here are the rest!
This is domino
e97708f3-51be-4a10-b91a-9ea99b860b7c_zpseec7185c.jpg

18273423-39b1-4e29-9c49-ea13464ad5f0_zps58cc1eeb.jpg

This is mallow
a794d86a-f624-400e-bd58-41c430d4b9be_zps5d8c8f89.jpg

Mini & Snickers:
mini on the left, snickers on the right
5659d3f2-6671-4878-8838-e262160216cb_zps729615fd.jpg

Snickers is a fatty :)
e82cefab-60bb-44a5-b894-e7d88dc6671c_zps2d3f505f.jpg

Taty
3fb1d95d-0a92-49b6-aed5-df0feebfa8e9_zps3ba53c76.jpg

More cute pictures!!!
domino and kiwi
DSCF2425_zpscc182347.jpg

mini, tatty and mallow
84b0e213-d5df-4cec-890d-5fd5d057da43_zpsb40dd663.jpg

Welcome to the Shack! Your ratties are adorable! Glad to have you here. :)

(I loved the title of your intro post...from The Emporer's New Groove? ;)

Last edited:
Yes :) it is from the emperors new grove :) if any one ever had the ability to speak rodent (although I am translating from squirrel ya know) it would be kronk :)
Yes all the girls are in the same enclosure but there are many rooms (6 right now) in the enclosure that I made for them and every one has their own space which can be closed off if need be. (hopefully soon you will get to see it in full detail) But that being said, they were previously in a horribly small place at this local pet shop and were all amazing together and I have had litterally no fighting except for a few squeaks when mommy wants them all bathed and they disagree with her :) Ive been so happ to be able to bring them all together. I have never seen a mother rat act the way mommy does and I absolutely love it :) thanks for all the comments!

So glad you are enjoying your new fur babies! :D

Just as an FYI, rats do not normally need to be bathed since they keep themselves very clean with daily grooming and they rarely get stinky (unless of course they are being kept in horrible conditions where the cage is not cleaned or new bedding is not put in). But there may have been some unusual reason you needed to bath them this time...were they really smelly when you got them from their previous home or something?

As a P.S...many rat folks have unscented baby wipes on hand as a nice and easy way to wipe down your ratties, in case they need it once in awhile. I always have baby wipes around for the rare occassion that one of my boys would be a bit smelly (not usual though) and they always preferred a nice wipe over being near water! ;)

Yep they were in very horrible conditions when I first got them. They don't stink now but they seem
To love tAking a dip. I have had many packs of rats before and I keep the baby wipes on hand as well:) I like keeping the big water bowl in for various reasons ( thinking that the more water sources the better, but instead of drinking from it I often find one or two if them splashing each other or just running/ sitting in the bowl.)Like their wild counter parts I think the "large body if water" is just a fun meeting place lol.. My guys enjoy the water so I'm not going to take it away. Thanks for the comments,though every rat is different. Mommy and her babies were in a packed, stinky, rarely cleaned environment. I think the idea of needing extra anything to be cleanings just ingrained in them. I have a huge place for all of them now that I am constantly cleaning. They also spend more then 75% of their day out of their enclosure so I am not worried about anything on my end.
Thank you all for your comments/ worries and salutations!

Oh the poor babies...I am so glad they are out of that bad situation now and with you! :)

That is great that your fur kids love to be around water! You are right, all rats are different, for sure. Some hate the water, others splash and have so much fun with it. :D

Back