Its a tumor

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspch911

Original thread w/picture
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29819

He saw the vet today and it is a tumor, but we don't know if it is cancer or not and we won't know. There will be no biopsy since I don't see the need to pay for it when the treatment plan isn't going to change. While it would be a simple removal in a healthy rat sadly our boy is not a surgical candidate. His lungs are in bad shape and full of either lung abscesses or possibly tumors. He has quite a hard barrel chest. He will survive surgery, but she doesn't think he will last long after. She has seen too many cases where they make it to the follow up appointment and then go down hill and pass away. The lump did start to bleed today and has a very tiny hole in it so we are watching it to make sure it doesn't rupture. If it does rupture we have been given instructions on what to do to stop the bleeding. He has been put on metacam for 5-7 days.

We have also decided that he will continue on the baytril, doxy, and theophylline for life. I wish I had asked earlier, but they will do a necropsy at no charge for clients so I will consider this when the time comes. While I don't like the idea of having one done to my pets, I do wish I had asked about them sooner and had them done on Oliver and Popper so I could of know exactly what we were up against. Besides, perhaps they could help other rats in the future.

I'm kind of relieved we don't have to make a decision on this and he has made it for us. He has lost weight, but not that much and he is still at a healthy weight - our boys in that cage are chunkers.

I'm sorry about your baby. :(
However, his leg tumor looks very small-- I'm sure it won't bother him for a while...

I'm sorry about your baby. :(
However, his leg tumor looks very small-- I'm sure it won't bother him for a while...

That's what I'm hoping. I think his lungs are still his major issues, unless that pops and then there is the bleeding which sounds like it will be quite a lot.

I hope it stays small, or grows very very slowly if thats what it is going to do. I also hope it doesnt hurt him either *hugs*

I hope it stays small, or grows very very slowly if thats what it is going to do. I also hope it doesnt hurt him either *hugs*

Honestly it doesn't seem to bother him - he's not chewing on it or anything, but he does whimper if we touch it to look at it. So I'm not really sure.

Not that this funny, BUT I am sure you can use a giggle. I read this in Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaTO8_KNcuo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaTO8_KNcuo[/ame]

Poor little guy but we never know, his tumour might not grow much at all. And I agree, no sense in a biopsy. But I would definitely take them up on the offer of necropsies. Not only do you learn what the issues were but your vet learns each time from a necro.

Poor little guy but we never know, his tumour might not grow much at all. And I agree, no sense in a biopsy. But I would definitely take them up on the offer of necropsies. Not only do you learn what the issues were but your vet learns each time from a necro.

Yes, the hubby and I discussed that and we will do the necro on GMC and Kona (lump boy) for sure. I will just look at it as a post mortum surgery and hope they learn something to benefit other rats. Just wish I had asked earlier so we could of known what was in Popper and Oliver for sure. It actually seems to be staying the same size and some days it looks smaller. Just worried about bleeding. Hopefully that will not happen, but if it does hopefully we'll be home and will be able to stop it.

GMC has not gotten his meds for a few days since mommy cannot give them to him he becomes a vicious clawing velociraptor and I have scars to prove it. I think the tumor hurts since this behavior increases when we have to put the cream on the tumor so he is now on tramadol too and is getting the 7 day doxy shot so its one less medication we have to give. I hope it works since I've never seen my boy behave this way .... :sick:

Poor guy they do funny things when they are in pain. I am sure he is just freaking out he needs a special treat is all.

Poor guy they do funny things when they are in pain. I am sure he is just freaking out he needs a special treat is all.

Funny thing is this boy doesn't like treats unless they are healthy - we call him our health nut! He's very picky about food and treats - always has been. He was also the only boy to ever use the wheel out of the five of them.

Back