Double Critter Nation Locking Ramp

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotRatz

Ok so I have a double critter nation that I want to divide into 2 different cages. I know it has the locking ramp and I see the clip that is supposed to hold it. My concern is that the ramp is slightly arched to where it is difficult to pull it up enough to get the hook around it. I just want to make sure I have the right idea in just pulling the ramp up and attaching it with the hook!

I attached a couple pictures just for visual reference. Thanks!

20140423_120040.jpg

20140423_120054.jpg

I have never used that, in fact I removed the ladder all together. I use another bottom tray on the top (had an extra laying around), but you can turn the top tray around. I then put a paving brick onto of the tray over the hole and the liter pan on top of that. Never had a problem, but I also didn't have mixed sexes in the cage either.

Yup, you have the right idea. Once you get it on there, it will be very tight, not allowing anyone to squeeze between there. Unhooking it is just as hard to do, so I have 100% faith in it. I had my fiance help me by holding the ramp up as I moved the s hook into position. It helps a ton if you can get help.

Oh thank goodness for this thread because I was just about to ask the same thing!! I never thought about switching the top and bottom trays but I did think of putting something over the hole to cover it and putting the little box over it. Definitely don't want any pregnancies so I'm happy people say no rats can get through

It's almost impossibly difficult to latch and unlatch, but I think they made it that way on purpose. XD

Thanks for the replies. Definitely good news that its so tight lol. I'll have my husband help me because as some of you said, there's no way I can do it myself! We were actually thinking of buying an extra bottom tray and putting it on the top but switching them and adding a tile to the exposed area of the bottom bars sounds like a good idea until we get around to it!

And we are doing mixed genders with female on top and male on the bottom so security is a major must lol

You dont want to do the pan switch with mixed sex for obvious reasons. LOL but that ramp when you have it pulled up you can also put a zip tie to pull the end up more. I havent had rats bypass that nor have I had them get stuck in that little space. I had babies in there and I was worried that one would be stuck in there but none of the ever even made it up there.

I would definitely use both the locking ramp and switch the top and bottom trays so they can't access toes and fingers.
I would also encourage you to get one or both sexes neutered to eliminate any oopsies and reduce the sexual tension.

Yep, I have actually been calling around for the last 3 days getting quotes on neuters. Its not easy because there isn't an abundance of exotic vets near me and only 2 that are actually within half an hour of me. Cheapest quote so far has been $110 plus another $62 for the exam. That is better than the $250+ exam at the last place though!

Back