Male rat bit my arms and sliced open my hand; What went wrong?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallblossom

My sweet 8 month old squishy rat who I kiss on the lips daily for some reason acted oddly yesterday and I am sitting here devastated and of course injured. Here's what happened:

- My rat was biting my arm but not quite hard enough to break the skin and he was quickly biting up and down (I had red marks from his teeth impressions)
- I thought he was 'play' biting although I've never heard of a rat play biting this way
- He then proceeded to bite my other arm and then decided to quickly grab hold of my hand and attack it. His upper teeth ripped open the webbing between my index finger and thumb while the lower just gave me splayed-open teeth mark punctures

This behaviour could be due to the fact that he was checking out my female rats in their cage where he made nose to nose contact, however, he's made contact with them before and has never attacked me.

Why did my rat first 'test' bit my arm before attacking my hand? Does 'test' biting always lead to real bloody bites?

I am looking to rehome him because I cannot afford the $400 vet fee for a neuter at Preston Animal Hospital here in Cambridge. I am too afraid to try immersion and would prefer not to PTS (although it is only a mere $30) because he is a big 510 gram healthy beautifully coloured boy who is a goof with an adventurous and humorous side.

Does anyone know if Chelle's Critter Haven in Guelph is still in operation or have they closed down. My gut feeling is the latter and I don't know of any other rat rescues that are local.

Last edited:
It's his raging hormones. He really needs a neuter. He's at that very prime age for this to start and the fact that he can smell the girls makes this 100 times worse for him.
Immersion is flooding and inhumane. I don't recommend it at all.

Sadly, at 8 months old, he definitely is rocking with hormones. If you have unspayed girls to add to the mix... no need to look any further. Isn't there any way you can arrange to have him neutered? I'm sure your vet and you could arrange for instalments... and as a plus, he could live with your girls!

I think Chelle's rescue is closed, but I can't bet my arm on it...

I really hope you can arrange to have him neutered...

ETA - LOL! Jo posted as I was writing this...

Exactly what they said and my Clark does the same thing to me. He is fine for awhile, but as soon as I seen him turn its back in the cage he goes. He will be getting a neuter asap. Your definitely needs one too... I can tell you from experience it gets worse. He not been malicious just horny....

Exactly what they said and my Clark does the same thing to me. He is fine for awhile, but as soon as I seen him turn its back in the cage he goes. He will be getting a neuter asap. Your definitely needs one too... I can tell you from experience it gets worse. He not been malicious just horny....

Hahah, no its more like a hormonal overload, that causes these rages, that can begin with licking your hand, to mounting your hand to scratching and then savage biting. These rats are just totally under control of these hormones and are not happy rats. A neuter really is best. Can you drive to another vet? There are much cheaper vets out there but maybe not local.

Hahah, no its more like a hormonal overload, that causes these rages, that can begin with licking your hand, to mounting your hand to scratching and then savage biting. These rats are just totally under control of these hormones and are not happy rats. A neuter really is best. Can you drive to another vet? There are much cheaper vets out there but maybe not local.

Out of all the veterinary clinics in Kitchener and Cambridge only ONE deals with exotics. Another clinic close to Cambridge is in Guelph and they charge the same amount.

When it comes to neutering I wish I could get him chemically neutered but I am not sure if this procedure is available in Canada.

The best thing I can do for him is to surrender him which will take place this week. I will be sad and probably cry because I put so much love and care into this rat. When he had a myco flare up I medicated him with amoxicillin medicine balls and his myco flare up went away.

AT this point do not touch his rump, do NOT kiss him, watch for warning behaviours like a hunched back, fur puffed up, digging, rubbing, huffing, sidling, and these baleful eyes as he comes toward him. Never offer your fingers to sniff, the back of your hand is much harder to bite onto. Do NOT let him go over your arm or hand. If you do get bitten, then bandage the wound quickly, run for the ibuprofen and then bandage it properly.

A hormonal male looks like this....

dec28Nate3.jpg~original

dec28Nate2.jpg~original

dec28Nate.jpg~original

This young man was neutered and became a lovely doll again :)

Feb214Natehappyagain.jpg~original

Another recommendation for a neuter. Stump was uncontrollably, dangerously aggressive until he got snipped, and now he's amazing. :)

Horny was funny and yesterday was a bad day - Clark does try to hump my arm as he mulls it!! Anyway, those photos are exactly how Snickers lived until we finally got him a neuter - now he is a snuggler!! I was just hoping for a calm peaceful rat - so I got a bonus. Clark now needs a snip snip

Out of all the veterinary clinics in Kitchener and Cambridge only ONE deals with exotics. Another clinic close to Cambridge is in Guelph and they charge the same amount.

When it comes to neutering I wish I could get him chemically neutered but I am not sure if this procedure is available in Canada.

The best thing I can do for him is to surrender him which will take place this week. I will be sad and probably cry because I put so much love and care into this rat. When he had a myco flare up I medicated him with amoxicillin medicine balls and his myco flare up went away.

Hmmm Dr, Gerald at Mitchell Animal Hospital is a great rat vet and does neuter. He's in Kitchener. A lot of people know him and his work well.

Where are you surrendering him? Please say its a REAL rescue, as there are a lot of bogus ones out there :(

I'm sorry your rattie bit you, but that is not in any way an acceptable reason for euthanizing any pet. :(
Escpecially since his "attack" was justified-- he is a young "teen" boy rat, just getting all his hormones, housed near a bunch of females who are in heat every few days if not hours. A neuter would fix this, if you don't find a good home to take him in(preferably one with a few friends for him and a wide rat budget), then you must save up the money yourself.

I agree with Aida...you cannot just give up your boy because he bit you or have him PTS or any of that. He is not malicious or anything like that. As the others said, it is just his hormones. I would hate to see this sweet boy surrendered because his hormones were raging and he unfortunately bit you. Believe me, it was not something he did to purposely hurt you. You will have a very happy boy if you can just find a way to get a not too expensive neuter done for him.

By the way, what the heck does "immersion" mean? I have never heard of this?

This is an old thread and I missed it the first time around.

There is a chemical neuter option available in Canada but vets need a permit. Many vets that see a lot of ferrets will have a permit to give Suprelorin (deslorelin) implants to small animals. Here the cost runs about $200 plus the cost of an exam. They're not permanent, they can wear off later in life, but they will last long enough for what you need.

I agree with everyone else that suggested a neuter. I have also heard positive reviews about Dr. Gerald/Mitchell Animal Hospital.

Back