right food ?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alisonmarsburg

K so here my questions start : ) my girls are 3 months old and I would like to know whst is the best food to give them. Have read so many different suggestions just cant seem to get one right answer. Please help. Also..... are hemp seeds good for them?

Of course a natural diet is best but it's hard to make one that has all the nutrients a rat needs which are very different than that of humans or dogs or cats. Rats need low protein, low fat, no salt and no sugar. I always recommend a good quality rat block. Hemp seeds are good but high in protein so I wouldn't give much.

Thank you for all the help. Have discovered that my rats are very fussy, have tried several different food and they wnt touch it. So am going to order Oxbow for them, hopefully it will be to their taste. Ha ha ha

Im really worried about my girls. I have tried 3 different kinds of food but they arent eating any of it. I have ordered Oxbow but will take 3 weeks to get here. Will they eventually eat this food or will they starve themselves ?

They are animals and it should be instinct to eat and survive. Mine love OXBOW and I go through it regularly with 28 eating it. I have some on Adult Regal Rat and some on the Young Rat and mouse. They Adult is more popular and the bowl empties quickly as they start stashing it right away. Some will attempt to just bury the whole bowl.
I had to try a few different blocks but OXBOW wins here and I cannot order Harlan Tecklad cuz I don't have a CC and OXBOW is the best one available to me and it works

Last edited:
Alison, I seriously doubt they will starve, don't worry about that! Just supplement their diet with other grains(full grain rice, noodles,) and fruits/veggies until the Oxbow comes. :)

I feed oxbow too, and while it isn't recommended for YOUNG rats, I think that they are fine for it after 4 months, so you are OK.

Thanx : ) they are stressing me out so much. I didnt even worry so much with my kids. Today I was so worried cause theybwee sleeping so much, thought its cause they werent eating. They are real Princesses, so fussy. Got to love them though

Back