What is with people just assuming I want to breed my rats!?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clmntine

Rant warning....

Ugh this is starting to drive me nuts. The number of friends who have asked if I was planning to breed is insane! Or when I randomly talk about wanting more rats they say oh will you get a female? Then you can have babies!!

If I want babies I will adopt babies or a pregnant mom! I will never breed my rats or any other animal I own.

Have I not talked about rescue enough? Do they not understand at all? People ignorance kills me!

As someone who has become sort of a rescue community, rescued all four of my rats, and started to help out with rescues I would never willingly create more rats that need homes when I am well too aware of how many are already looking.

Ugh needed that. Thanks.

I know! Most of my parents friends ask me if I breed and how do i stop them from breeding etc, and i remind them that I only have males and that if i wanted more rats I would rescue. And they all look so confused. I even had someone ask me if males can breed with one another -.-

It's no surprise there are so many animals in shelters. How can someone honestly ask if the males can breed with each other!? Same with how do you stop them... You just don't put them together or get those bits removed. Ugh! So frustrating.

I am totally with you! I get asked if I have 28 because I breed? I was like no...I have 28 because other people did and didn't realize the responsibility why do I need to breed when once a month I get at least 1-2 rats in?
How do I stop them from breeding? Umm keep boys and girls in different rooms and not let them play together! Easy enough! ! I ensure everyone is in an appropriate sized cage and bar spacing!

Someone said that I should because I would have such nice babies and I could mix the fur or ear types 'just to see what happened' that's the mose idiotic suggestion ever! Breed just for the sake of "lets see what comes of it"
Those are people that you're like you should not have pets...ever!!

People ask me that too, but I don't think it is to be mean. They just don't understand. :(

If you have a cat people don't assume that you breed! People have a messed up view of rats, breeding, and rescue. It's just so frustrating.

Yet another reason why the ignorance of human beings makes me prefer the company of four legged species! (Present rat parent company not included in my rant of humans, of course!)

I think we all agree when we say 'human race' we mean not our group! Lol
This is a special breed of human that has a different capacity for love and compassion

Back