The Stratford Boys - The Return :P

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

To make a long story very short...I had been a go-between in these boys rescue in September 2013. And Jenny actually transported them.

These rats were in an urgent situation where a woman had to rehome them ASAP due to family court issues. She had tried to adopt them out over kijiji but in a saturated rat market, that didn't work well at all. She sadly had been breeding and it got out of control. Some of the social workers were just telling her to dump them in a park to get rid of them. :|

At the time I was super full and I could not take in any of the 21 rats that needed homes. So we worked out a rescue and a transport to someone else. :D Jenny fell in love with the old boys (they would've been 21 months old at the time) and almost kept them :p

Fast forward to now, I get a request for help about 4 older boys, 3 with issues, and the one with a terrible URI that is slowly killing him. Luckily I was going up to that area this weekend and my brother would help me pick up these poor old lads. Sadly the one boy passed at 4 am the night before I was supposed to get him. RIP Wheezy :(

When I saw pics of these boys from their current owner/foster I was struck and started digging through my pics and comparing to the Stratford rescues...OMG it really might be them!

The pic their mom sent me (sickie is at the front)

and the pics I found

Bandit now Wheezy (sick lad who didn't make it)

Buddy now Rudy

Butterscotch now Sirus

and Nacho now Lumpy

When I got the boys home, treated their mites, and took a good look at these now 28 month old lads (they were born in Dec. 2011) I realized it REALLY was them.

I asked them if they remembered their old names and Buddy bruxxed and licked me, so the 2 black boys returned back to Buddy and Nacho, and Sirus stayed the same as Butterscotch is NO name for such a manly old boy :giggle:

Meet the boys :)

We'll start with Nacho. He sadly has tumours on his side (2 obvious ones but there's also thickening in his skin on the other side so more are brewing). He's a bit nervous but very sweet.

Mmmmm coffee :D

Sirus has serious issues with his foot. It looks like bumblefoot, acts like bumblefoot but its on inside part of his ankle not the sole of his foot. :headscratch: His foot is very swollen and mis-shaped and he's now on antibiotics and I will start blu-kote today as well to see if we can dry this up. What do you think?

We'll start with his foot and work outwards

Apr1914Sirusfoot2.jpg~original

Apr1914Sirusfoot3.jpg~original

Apr1914Sirusfoot5.jpg~original

Apr1914Sirusfoot4.jpg~original

Now here's the rest of him LOL He's the alpha of the group, and a bit wary of things right now. These protector rats take longer to let go and realize I can help him out with his role and even make him feel better too. He loves his ear rubs and sometimes body scritches but most of the time he is observing and watching me.

Apr1914Sirus2.jpg~original

Apr1814Sirus4.jpg~original

Apr1814Sirus2.jpg~original

Apr1814Sirus3.jpg~original

Apr2014Sirus.jpg~original

And finally we have Buddy. It was his blazed brother who passed and he was very very close to him. I was told he was the healthy one but something is a little off with this elderly boy. I have him on antibiotics as he has those rough lungs that are pre-URI...and with oldies you don't wait to see how their immune system deals with it. He is a double odd-eyed, blazed black banded. :p Buddy is a high white but he made it through all the crucial and dangerous stages and can now just be cute. He seems to have issues holding things so I am watching for signs of PT, or just plain old age. He's the only one who really approaches me for affection and attention. He likes to lie over your arm and be stroked. he also bruxxes and boggles too... :heart:

Apr1914Buddy3.jpg~original

Apr1914Buddy5.jpg~original

Apr2014Buddy.jpg~original

Apr1914Buddy.jpg~original

Apr1914SirusandBuddy.jpg~original

Apr1914Buddy2.jpg~original

These boys are heavily bonded. They are always found in a large squishy pile or at least curled up near each other.

Sirus and Nacho

Apr2014SirusandNacho.jpg~original

Sleeping under the pillow on my mom's couch

Apr2014Mildandboys.jpg~original

What lovely old boys!! Looking forward to watching their progress. I have a serious rat crush on Buddy too!!

I wonder if that boy had an infection that hardened in there. Paul has a spot on his foot that is lumpy like that. He broke his it has since healed of course but it is funny looking in a few spots and it looks like this boy.

They are all sex man rats.... That lump, we noticed something like that on GMC's inner back leg where it bends, but I didn't know how to describe it and he won't stay still for a pic. Hope those boys heal.

The boys are doing very well. All of them are on antibiotics now but are pretty good about taking their meds from the syringe. Sirus is getting better about me painting his bumble, and it seems to be changing somewhat but I forgot to get a pic of it. *runs off to get the poor boy*

Apr2414Sirusfoot3.jpg~original

Apr2414Sirusfoot4.jpg~original

Apr2414Sirusfoot.jpg~original

Apr2414Sirusfoot2.jpg~original

The Midland Boys get an overnight every 3 days (day 1 is Tess/Joey, day 2 is the boys, day 3 is Miniel). They LOVE it. They have started to approach me a lot for affection, especially Nacho. He and Sirus like to lie up my side asking for body strokes...Buddy is always busy, as he's more like a girl. Buddy seems more reactive now and less spacey so I am watching him carefully...he's also gained a bit of weight to the feel :)

Sirus

Apr2414Sirus.jpg~original

Buddy

Apr2414Buddy.jpg~original

Buddy under Nacho... :heart:

Apr2414BuddyandNacho.jpg~original

Ah! I have been looking for this thread to see what happened. I'm sorry one of the old men wasn't able to hold on. Considering the age of these guys, I guess they are doing as well as expected. I'm glad they finally completed the circuitous journey to your house!

Omg, they are just beautiful...such handsome and sweet gentlemen you have there, sigh! I wish I could cuddle each and every one of them! Poor Sirus...I hope his foot gets better soon...it does look painful, the poor baby. Give them all my love! :cuddle:

Back