Strange Growth on Hairless Rattie's Head

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickimagnum

Hello everyone,

I'm a new hairless rat owner and my guy has a strange bump on his head with a yellow head. It doesn't seem to cause him any discomfort and he's acting normal, but it's worrying me.

A little bit of background: Rick is an older rat; we adopted him as an adult. He was living alone in a small cage and I fell in love with him instantly. We brought him, and a new housemate home (a younger fancy rat we named Carl). They've been happy and healthy ever since...until this happened.

Like I said, I'm completely new to hairless rats. I've done some research and my personal conclusion is possible a zit gone awry, but I would really love for an experienced rat owner to weigh in. His bump is pictured below. Any help or advice on what it is and how I should treat would be greatly, greatly appreciated. I'm very worried about my sweet little guy. Thank you again!

ekrxxu.jpg

Looks like an abscess, you can try warm compress until it pops then you'll need to get the goo out and flush it a couple times a day. You'll want it to heal from the inside out so don't put any ointment on it. If that's a scab a warm compress with soften it and you can probably get it off and squeeze the goo out.

you can check ratguide.com

Last edited:
Hairless rats are have keratin cyst, also known as sebaceous cysts or abscesses. My vet always recommends leaving sebaceous cysts alone on a nakie. But it doesn't hurt like dspch911 recommends.

Not to put a scare in you, but since it's a nakie and older...

If it turns out not to be a cyst or you can't get it to change size with draining it, there is the remote possibility of a tumour. Just get it checked out if the compress doesn't work or it rapidly increases in size.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Back