Meet Sterling

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleSparrow

Rattie loves
While I was in a small pet shop today I started talking to one of the employees about their pets. I then found out that someone had come by the shop a couple days before and had dropped off their retired breeder rat. They didn't know much about his history or his age.

Long story short, I ended up bringing him home. They didn't know what they were going to do with him, so they let me take him.

For the most part he looks like a healthy lad and I am guessing he is between 6-8 months old. He's a fairly shy guy, but we are going to work on that. :) Since we have all girls at home, it's nice to now have a little boy!
I'm currently on the hunt for a vet to bring him in for a "chop" and check up, so he will eventually be able to mingle with the ladies. :wink:

Edit: Any suggestions on how to care for his poor eye?

Last edited:
Sterling is all white with small grey patches around both ears. He's quite the charmer. :)

20140414_191300_zpse9c2bb8b.jpg

20140414_191252_zps2de3f0a7.jpg

20140414_191707_zpsf8f76dc0.jpg

20140414_191656_zps668c4ba1.jpg

20140414_191610_zps63f5cc48.jpg

And we start off the home coming with a much healthier diet
yvuby5y2.jpg

Last edited:
He is so beautiful! Very interesting markings. What's wrong with his eye? Without knowing details I would say a sterile saline flush a couple of times a day wouldn't hurt.

I'm not too sure what's wrong with it, but I will definitely try the saline. :) If it doesn't go away after being put on a good diet and cleaned out daily, before he goes to the vet for a neuter we will do a full health check. I'm thinking they might have kept him in poorly ventilated housing previously. Though his lungs sound fine and he has no sneezies or sniffles at all, which I'm very happy about! Hopefully nothing arises and this is a quick little fix

He's beautiful and he must think he's in rattie paradise!!!! Look at that dinner he got and he never had to leave his bed... His eyes do look irrated you will probably need some ointment, but if those are scabs I would look into mites.

You can also use eye drops. I was recommended the nature tears ones, and it did the trick on one of my boys eyes.

Love the name! Sterling was my heart rat!
He is beautiful! He's in good hands now!
If its anything to do with the name he'll be amazing! ;)

He is pretty swet, though a very timid guy! He's slowly beginning to warm up but still is very unsure of us, escpecially my fiance. Currently alone iin his cage as I'm having a hard time finding a vet that will neuter him so he can be with his ladies. ):
I will have to try the ear drops, I checked all over his fur for scabs and I didn't see anything. Even gave him a warm bath and I couldn't find anything, so I don't think its mites. I've been washing his eye a couple times a day and just when it starts to look better, it gets bad again! Maybe the eye drops will do the trick.

Back