Anxiety Ridden Rattie - pulling out fur

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littles

So this is more of a story then a question, but I wanted to post it in case someone was having the same problem.

My little sweet gentle guy Jake and his brother Rolo were pretty inseparable in the cage. They snuggled every night and jake would always hang out with him. When outside the relationship was a bit different. Jake was a bit playful and rough and Rolo was a cuddle monster and wanted nothing to do with jakes antics. We always believed that jake had a bit of anxiety or nervousness, he never really liked to be held or cuddled, but when he was in his cage with Rolo it was like he was a different boy.

Sadly Rolo started getting sick, I was told it could've just been an ear infection was given some antibiotics which did the trick. At this time Jake started to Barb himself (another word for pulling out his own fur). At first I thought maybe he was rubbing his butt on jagged things or Over grooming. I took him to the vets and they were both put on revolution for mights. About a month later Rolo's illness got worst and the vet diagnosed him with a pituitary Tumor and he was put on some steroids that may help shrink the tumor. Unfortunately with these little guys the tumor won. By the end of his illness Rolo had head tilt and and lost his motor functions to eat. We made the only decision that was necessary.

After Rolo's passing jake stayed in his cage for about 1 week. He would still eat but would never come out. He seemed scared of the world. When I finally decided to bring him out of his cage he jumped out of my arms and hid under the cage. His fur pulling was not getting any better. There would be tiny clumps of his fur on the bottom of his cage and I would even catch him in the act. Our vet told us that he probably is suffering from separation anxiety and that we should try a few things. 1 being getting him a new friend to anchor him back into comfort, and 2 put him on some anti anxiety medication to help with his obssesive compulsive behaviour he had adapted. We tried everything else, we even had extensive tests done to make sure it wasn't a parasite and we had tissue samples taken to make sure it wasn't a hard core mite that lives in the skin. All ruled out.

Now I myself do not like the usage drugs if not needed but I couldnt very well let Jake live like this. He had calmed down a bit and would now come and walk around a bit. It took him almost 3 weeks to get the courage to walk around his old stomping grounds. So we went ahead with the medication. He started him off on a very small dose, which seemed to calm him down and ease him out of his fur pulling behavior. There was less clumps on the floor of his cage but it was still happening. His tummy, butt and arms were fur-less and while i know some rats loose their fur he was whole hartedly pulling it out. Last month we changed his dosage to double what he was originally taking and he has improved drastically. I rarely find any clumps of fur anymore and his bald spots have been growing back slowly. I don't know which spots of his hair follicles have been damaged by the exstensive pulling but I am just happy that he is a calmer more of himself rat. He now lets me hold him snuggle, but only a bit, and he'll come greet me and climb into my arms. We are still working on getting Norbert and Him to accept each other. But for now they are just merely neighbors, but both super happy dudes.

I wanted to share this story of Jake because I was extremely frustrated with not understanding his behavior but happy that we found a solution. I was told that it is very rare for an animal to adopt an OC behavior but not impossible. Id be more then happy to answer any questions I will update this with the name of the medication and a pic of my guy :) Thanks for listening

Hi, so sorry for your loss and how very sad for Jake's grieving. Good for you for doing all you can. Can you tell us what the drug was that helped with Jake's obsession? Self barbering is actually quite common in rats who are bored or stressed.

I have had two rats with barbering problems:
Sabrina started chewing the fur off her arms. This was associated with the addition of one particular rat to the colony. When that rat passed, Sabrina stopped chewing her arms again.
The other was a rescue, Hotch. When he joined the colony, he started chewing his belly. I saw this 'lesion' and we tried everything to treat it including doing an excisional biopsy, but it recurred. Only when he developed a pituitary tumour and he was miraculously cured, did I realize it was self-mutilation.
I hope your boy is just stressed out with all the recent changes, and will be able to stop his meds soon when he gets to know his new neighbour. I too am curious as to what the medication is.

Hey guys thanks, yes Rolo was the sweetest guy and poor Jake was just utterly depressed.
The Drug is called Fluoxetine. We started at 0.1mls dosage and then amped it up to 0.2mls dosage. The one helped with his anxiety the when we increased it it helped with more of his OC behaviour.

As promised pics of jake and his late brother rolo

That's used as an antidepressant/anxiolytic in humans, and it helps some people with OCD. Interesting to hear that it helped your ratty. He may not need it once he is living with a buddy again. Please keep us posted!

Yeah thats what the vet had mentioned. Its a drug That I have to get them to order, he said he only used it as the last option, once we exhausted all the others but it has definitely helped him allot. Im gonna try the tub tonight wish me luck! Its really norbert that is getting puffy and not liking jake so if anyone has suggestions i've tried everything. Vanilla, putting almond butter on each other ect let me know if im missing something here.

Thanks

yeah the tub went horribly :( both ratties got totally puffy attacked each other and now im tending to 1 shivering jake with some bite marks and a really pissed norbert both chattering like mad. I dont know if this is gonna work out they might just have to stay neighbours. ANy thoughts?

How long have you had Norbert? Can you get Norbert neutered? And how old are both males?
Next intro, I would have on a table top and don't allow the rats to go near each other. No vanilla or anything on them. They need to smell each other for who they are. Each time the rats go for each other on the table, put a glove between them. At no time can they touch each other. When you put the wall, when they turn away from the wall, give them each a treat. Do this each time. Make the intro session about 30 minutes. Make the treat high value like a small piece of Doritos or Cheezies or something junkie like that.

Ive had norbert for awhile now hes gotta be about 10 months old. He has no other aggression signs except with jake. The thing is they were buddies when norbert was a baby theyd hang out on the couch together, even snuggle in the octoplay, then one day Jake just got super mad. After that no go. Thats when we tried the meds and decided to wait until Jakes behaviour got better. We tried again when Norbert was a bit older and they would just sit in a tube together not liking but not attacking each other. I will try the table idea and positive reinforcement with treats. But im gonna give them a break Jake is pretty freaked out by all this hes still a bit shaky and a little timid to come out and run around.

So a quick update on jake, he has gone through every medication I can think of he has slowed down on the barbering and some of his fur is growing back but he seems to still be prone to pulling it out every now and then, the vet noticed is was hot to the touch and mentioned he saw a bit of a skin infection soooooo we went back to treating him possible for mites then he was on antibiotics then suggested some Benadryl for the itch I stopped the fluoxetine awhile back because it was only temporary and he is now not on any medication except some rescue remedy cream. Him and Norbert have still yet to settle any differences they may have together even though they both seem to long for each other's company they both get defensive and puffy when beside each other. Jake seems more social these days and will even go for a short shoulder ride, he does seem to be loosing weight so I have to go buy a scale to make sure everything is in the good. I'll let you guys know any other new

It was before which is i guess the reason for the antibiotics but now he seems to just be doing it out of habit i dont think its too pink but i will definitely take another look.

It was before which is i guess the reason for the antibiotics but now he seems to just be doing it out of habit i dont think its too pink but i will definitely take another look.

If the skin seems pinker than normal, and his fur is falling out but he's not necessarily itchy, and especially if the fur loss is on this face to start, then he might have demodex mites.

Here is a pic of the before and after

umegudaz.jpg

Before

e2uhaju7.jpg

sehajy7y.jpg

After

He doesn't scratch it he pulls it out with his mouth like I said he started when Rolo got sick and then when he died it got worse we've treated for mites twice plus using the at home stuff and then with the shot as well incase of it being a bad kind of parasite his stomach use to be no fur and now it's almost all grown back, but I'm worried I just want him to be relaxed. He does seem more social these days, although there are some days where he can slump back into it. I try to keep his cage really clean but it's hard cause he's a dirty boy refuses to poo in his box and pees everywhere I started to use puppy pads to help with absorption ect, any ideas are welcomed!

We gave him revolution and an injection of some sort we also did some skin scrapes and skin biopsies I can't remember if we did any blood work at all. And yes he was on antidepressants for a bit called fluxotine it helped but the vet doesn't want to keep him on it forever

We gave him revolution and an injection of some sort we also did some skin scrapes and skin biopsies I can't remember if we did any blood work at all. And yes he was on antidepressants for a bit called fluxotine it helped but the vet doesn't want to keep him on it forever

But he's healthy right? Just this weird compulsion to barber and pull out his fur?

If so you might have to accept it as an eccentricity rather than a health issue :)

Back