I need some advice please!!! :(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladyxdeath

Hey rattie lovers!
I have two female rats, sisters. I love them with all my heart but as of 2 or 3 months ago I got myself a cat and I've been giving her all my attention and not taking the rats out often at all because of her. She is not aggressive towards them from what I can see, she just likes to watch them run around in the cage.
I just want to ask your opinions on whether or not I should give them away to a loving home or not? I'm so very scared if I did that, that they wouldn't be well taken care of or loved. I really do care for them with all my heart but I can see the pattern here... and I'm just trying to be honest and smart about it. They don't get enough attention from me.
So would it be a smart choice to find a loving home for them or keep them(they have each other for company as well?)
What breaks my heart is that one of them gnaws on the cage a lot, and she's had chewy blocks etc in the past she doesn't pay attention to. I know she does it out for attention from me because it's only done when I'm in eye's view and not holding them. Plus boredom I'm sure.
I just don't know what the right choice is here....In my mind, any stranger will take bad care of them or hurt them. Yet I myself rarely take them out.
Aggghhhh... help me please. Opinions, advice whatever you got throw it at me - Just be nice please :coffee:

Having a rescue that gets rats in constantly from circumstances like these I would say your best option is to make time for them. Putting them in another home they maybe neglected. Rescues are great but they are rescues nothing is better than a home. They dont need much just a little out time a day. I am sure the cat will be fine with them around just put her in another room while you do it.

I have two dogs, three cats, and eight rats. It is possible to spend time with all of them. My cats and dogs have the opportunity to spend lots of time with me - basically all of the time I am home except when I am shut in the rat room. I specifically make time to spend with my rats. I go into the rat room and shut the door to protect the rats, and spend an hour or two with them. Sometimes I will sit in there with my tablet so they can be out longer. Just hanging out together.
If you set aside a specific rat play time, then all the rest of the time is kitty time. Easy to do, and everyone wins. I would be too scared to rehome my babies.

It's not fair to get rid of your rats because you brought a new pet into the home, especially since they were there first (not that I'm implying you should get rid of the cat instead..). If you committed to caring for a pet, you should do so for their entire life. Make time for them. I, like the poster above (Joanne) have 3 dogs 2 cats and my 3 rats.. I make time for each pet every day.. yeah it's a lot of work, but that's what I signed up for when I decided to bring all these animals into my home. And it brings me joy to spend time with all my pets and care for and play with them. Don't shirk your responsibility on someone else. Either confine the cat/put up a baby gate when you bring the rats out or play with the rats in a separate room. If it's truly breaking your heart that your rats are upset, do the right thing and care for them properly, don't just get rid of them..

She did not die from me or from the cat, I don't understand why the possibility of her just dying naturally is left out? She led a good life with her sis, I personally don't know the reasoning for the sudden death but there's not much I can do now but mourn..

I don't understand all this hatred I've been getting on this post, and now her death is giving me even worse responses as if I would ever harm my little girl?? I'm sick.

I'm sorry if you have had your feelings hurt. I asked because it was stated that she was killed, not that she died.

I don't think anyone is hating on you, it is just hard for rat lovers to see yet another rattie given up.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

It is difficult for most to have much sympathy when one wanted to get rid of her rats because they got a new cat. If she didn't get killed then what happened? She wasnt very old from the post, I didn't see a mention that she was a senior rat. It is sad to see how disposable rats are and most of us see it daily. It is completely upsetting. I share the stories of allergies, pregnancy and other so called reasons that individuals get rid of their pets so it is no secret to any of the members. It is not ok to get rid of pets because of a new pet. It is totally unfair although I am glad that the remaining girl is going to lilspaz but it does not change that it shouldnt happen.

I don't understand all this hatred I've been getting on this post, and now her death is giving me even worse responses as if I would ever harm my little girl?? I'm sick.

I don't believe anyone is to be hating on you. It was said by another poster that the rat was killed and they were taking in the survivor tonight. I'm not entirely sure why they would say that and we don't know the entire depth of your conversation; but that gives people the perspective that the Rat was killed since it was said that she was killed. You haven't even posted or explained what had happened. How you found her; etc.

You can't really defend yourself over the fact that you have a cat now and have no time for your Rats. I own two dogs and a cat and they know not to come in the room when the rats are out playing. It's about divinding your time. If you had a child and then had a new baby, you would never ignore your first child and worry entirely about the baby. That's common sense.
Cats and Dogs are predator animals. They all have instincts developed deep in their veins that tell them to chase something when it runs. If you tried to introduce your cat to the rats then you might as well just be honest and say that. You should never introduce an adult cat to something smaller than it. You don't know the cat's upbringing or if it understands how to kill. You would've been better off bringing home a defenseless little 6 week old kitten to meet the rats. They can barely walk properly at that age haha.

Well, the wording was "killed", so we all kind of assumed it wasn't a natural death. :(
I'm very sorry for your baby, I do trust that you loved them.

However, rats have such short lives, and usually such terrible lives-- few people care for them at all! Rehoming a pet that has been with you for a while, because you got a new pet, just is not fair. Rats only live 2-3 years, even if owning rats isn't what you thought, or is a bigger burden than you thought, sometimes you just gotta stick through with it and care for them like you are responsible to do.

That was kinda my thought too ^

We (family) figured out too late that my mother and sister are allergic to rats and my mom had to use albuterol it was so bad!

These very well may be the only rats I ever get to have if I can't figure out an alternative, but I still took on the responsibility and I will keep it. I wouldn't give up a frog if I took it on as a pet. The animal has no choice and depends on you for its care so you MUST fulfill the promise you made.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Back