Getting rats in Michigan, recommended breeders/rescues?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabelline

So I'm really considering adding to my rattie family, getting two new boys. In my area (metro Detroit) I've found very few postings on craiglist, classifieds, or rescues for rats in need. Of the few I found, I messaged the ones I was interested in but received no responses. So, I'm left with breeders and pet stores, and the second option is clearly out.

I was wondering if anyone knew of some reputable breeders or rats in need in Michigan? I'm willing to travel a bit to get them. I've heard about Rat Dippity, Deer Creek, Jenni's Mischief (Ohio), KFF Rattery, and RaffinHouse Rattery (Ohio). Does anyone have rats from these breeders or have opinions on them? I'd love to get some suggestions on where to get my new boys.

Tempermant and health are whats most important to me, so breeders who focus -only- on fancy colors or fur types aren't what I'm looking for.

On a side note, does anyone have any tips for bonding with new ratties, or have links to any posts focusing on that?

Thanks~

As lilspaz mentioned Yale Road Adoptables its a awesome rat rescue! Even though you are only looking for two boys maybe you can make an exception:) there are three little boys from West Michigan Critter Haven. Heres the link: http://www.wmicritterhaven.org

Thanks for the info! I wasn't aware of any other rat specific rescues here, I'd heard of Huron Valley Rat Rescue but it seems they've close their doors. I'll look into the ones you guys suggested.

I looked into Yale Road, they seem really wonderful, and lots of lovely ratties available. Thank you guys very much! :) I've never had rescue rats before, but I think I'd much prefer it to getting ones from breeders. My first two were from a pet store, and though I love my boys dearly, I would not do that again knowing what I do now about the industry.

Sabelline said:
I looked into Yale Road, they seem really wonderful, and lots of lovely ratties available. Thank you guys very much! :) I've never had rescue rats before, but I think I'd much prefer it to getting ones from breeders. My first two were from a pet store, and though I love my boys dearly, I would not do that again knowing what I do now about the industry.
Glad to hear it! Good luck :)

Back