Share your not CN or FN cages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratlover2013

There is already a thread for CN's & FN's, id love to see other cages :)

Here's my fix up rabbit cage for my old rescue boys.

a4atazyq.jpg

y4avy9es.jpg

9utygabe.jpg

gasyradu.jpg

My old lady Dorian is the last of her colony, and the only female in the house, so unfortunately she lives alone. But she gets tons and tons of love and affection from myself, my roomates and boyfriend, and my classmates and teachers since I go to a very alternative college, and I'm allowed to bring her into class with me. I know it's not the same as having a rat buddy, and I truly wish I could get her a friend, but I don't want to bring any more females into the house, since we have nine males, and she's so elderly, at two and a half, with three inoperable mammary tumors, that an intro would probably be more stress than help.

But anywho, this is her oldy cage! A nice long bunny cage, with low hammocks, lots of cozy beds to snuggle up on, and lots of fleece scraps to nest in. She thoroughly enjoys running back and forth and chewing on her toys during the middle of the night when I'm trying to sleep. The crazy old lady even tries to climb up the bars still! So all the hammocks and beds are an added safety bonus, that'll catch the wiley old lady if she takes a tumble :roll:

Hello there, sleepy lady :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Ratlover2013 I have that cage in the first pic as our hospital cage and I hate the ladder that comes with it - I never thought to use the CN ladder in there. I am going to have to try that.

Ratlover2013 said:
I have an old lone boy living alone too. As long as they get enough attention, they don't mind. As much as I hate it.

Yeah.. I think it hurts us more than them at this point. I always strive to make sure my young ones live together, or atleast in groups, so they have the chance for a good, strong colony.. but poor Dorian's the last of her group, which at its largest consisted of six. So she wasn't alone her whole life, thank god, and I think being on top of the critter nation, where she can see and smell the other ratties is comforting too. It still makes me sad that she has no one to snuggle at night though :(

My triple double fn.... They have ramps on both sides of the cage. I had to put one floor in flip'flopped to make it work and had to cut a whole in the base pan to make an opeing on the opposite side of the cage so both sides have a way down.

1462924_10151840553131409_1486386904_n.jpg

Since it is a double wide I started using moving blankets cut to fit it so that I have one large liner. I can say it helped on clean up with around 25 rats living in that, they can be rather messy.

Close up of the blanket.
1459239_10151840553266409_748473046_n.jpg

I did the same thing with the regular cns
936766_10151832794431409_560239012_n.jpg

so far the babies are the only ones who pick them apart, they seem to like the padding in the middle which is a blue jean type padding.

KatTheHippie said:
Ratlover2013 said:
I have an old lone boy living alone too. As long as they get enough attention, they don't mind. As much as I hate it.

Yeah.. I think it hurts us more than them at this point. I always strive to make sure my young ones live together, or atleast in groups, so they have the chance for a good, strong colony.. but poor Dorian's the last of her group, which at its largest consisted of six. So she wasn't alone her whole life, thank god, and I think being on top of the critter nation, where she can see and smell the other ratties is comforting too. It still makes me sad that she has no one to snuggle at night though :(

I let Moomoo sleep in the bed with us :)

dspch911 said:
Ratlover2013 I have that cage in the first pic as our hospital cage and I hate the ladder that comes with it - I never thought to use the CN ladder in there. I am going to have to try that.

This cage didn't come with a shelf or ladder. Just a flat bunny cage.

Ratlover2013 said:
dspch911 said:

Well, it looks like the same cage, and ours came with a flimsy shelf and an even worse ladder!

dspch911 said:
Ratlover2013 said:
dspch911 said:

Well, it looks like the same cage, and ours came with a flimsy shelf and an even worse ladder!

Ick. We made a shelf from coroplast and plywood.

I have and ALT rat cage that my two baby boys are in
ajy8yse3.jpg

And my two new girls Jersey and Isis are in my SPCA donated cage as they were in what I am guessing was a guinea pig starter cage (so small). (Its been redecorated since and simplified as they were not used to much and I don't want to overwhelm them)
3une2uju.jpg

*their old cage compared* and I feel the white one is small
ubupybu8.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

It's really interesting to see how everyone decorates their cages.

This is my ratties cage it's a discount version of a critter nation, it only has doors on the right side so doesn't open up like a critter nation but it does the job.
PICT9387_zps00003875.jpg

SterlingRats0408 said:
I have and ALT rat cage that my two baby boys are in
ajy8yse3.jpg

And my two new girls Jersey and Isis are in my SPCA donated cage as they were in what I am guessing was a guinea pig starter cage (so small). (Its been redecorated since and simplified as they were not used to much and I don't want to overwhelm them)
3une2uju.jpg

*their old cage compared* and I feel the white one is small
ubupybu8.jpg

Wow, they sent that little black cage with the blue bottom as an actual cage? I have the same one, I use it as a hospital cage, or a travel cage for road trips, where we'll be staying for a few days.

Back