Ottawa Pet Rat Rescue Journal

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisK

I've been mostly driving for OPRats for some time now, and I've had the privilege of meeting lots of little angels come and go. Some getting neutered, some finding their new forever homes.. Ratmando and RKbusy truly pour their hearts into this rescue. So I've asked if I can post some of the stories of the ratties who come and go from their rescue, so that you can share some of the joys with us too. There are so many to write about, so I am going to start by posting one story per week. And if you've adopted or fostered from OPRats and would like to post your story here too, please do! I hope you all enjoy the ride with us!

I'm going to start with the story of Socrates.

Socrates was abandoned by his owner, who apparently showed up at the vet's office one day, all her belongings packed in her car, on her way out of town. She'd stopped at the vet's office first to request Socrates be euthanized. The vet looked him over, and saw he was in great health, and refused to euthanize him. The owner threatened to abandon Socrates, but the vet convinced her to allow him to keep Socrates instead, and try to find a new home for him.

You may have seen my previous post on Socrates, because I transported him from the vet who'd rescued and subsequently neutered him, to OPRats. It was about a month or so ago. I was very taken with Socrates. He has a very gentle, accepting nature.

This was a photo I took of Socrates, the night I'd picked him up from the vet's, as he rested on my sofa in freedom, in peace, and fully aware that he was safe and sound...

The very next morning, I drove him to OPRats headquarters, where he waited only hours for his adoptive family to arrive. I'm told that the whole family came to meet him. They were SO excited to adopt Socrates, as they were already pet rat owners, and they had an older boy rat, Toby, who was very lonely, and needed a rattie friend around his own age.

Toby, the big boy to the right found that perfect companion in dear, calm Socrates. The family who adopted Socrates is a true rat-loving family where everyone cares for and gives love and attention to their now 8 male rats.

OPRats couldn't have found Socrates a better, more loving and fun-filled family!

Have a happy life, Socrates! You deserve it! :heart:

Awww. Thank you so much for posting this story Debra!
Dear Socrates is literally living in a rattie-centric home. I actually had the pleasure to meet this family.

They live in this open-concept bungalow and there's "rat stations" all around the perimeter of their huge living room. Their dad, somehow rigged casters onto their sofa, and believe it or not, as a family, they push the sofa closer or further away from the "rat stations" to allow each of the rat groups out! LOL. I was dumbfounded and soooo impressed by this set up. Cooler yet, the rat's never have their cage doors closed. They used the bottoms of second hand cages and some ingenuity, and the dad rigged all these "balconies" onto the main cage, so they just hang out, all day and all night!

That's a great story and such a happy ending. I'd love to see a pic of these rat balconies! Does the Ottawa rat rescue group also adopt out to areas outside Ottawa? So glad to see ratties finding good homes!

Unfortunately, the day that I went to visit, I took a video of one of their daughters and their rat, and my camera ran out of memory :(
It was such a cute video that I couldn't bring myself to delete it and silly me had left other important pictures on it.

And to answer Carol, yes, we DO adopt outside of Ottawa, but it's a longer process, because we can't do a home visit ourselves, so we ask a billion questions, and basically expect you to give us a tour of your place in pictures or a video!

We've adopted out boys to Montreal so far as the farthest.

p.s. Here's the video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y3IzUl-abc

The OPRats Quarantine site is officially open! lol.. Two middle aged male rats abandoned because they were sick. Both were covered in scabs from mites and one had such a bad URI we weren't sure he'd make it. They came in a pretty small cage that was in bad shape. Clearly these boys had suffered terrible neglect for who knows how long.

The sickest boy we named Romeo, because he is so sweet and licked everyone. The other boy we named Enzo the Badger, because his markings look like that of a Badger.

Both boys got a dose of Revo almost immediately. And the next day, Dr. Maya at the Liston Animal Hospital was able to fit Romeo in for an exam. He's on very strong doses of baytril and doxy now. And Enzo, who also shows URI symptoms, is also on baytril.

Their home at OPRats Quarantine is a respectable sized rabbit cage filled with fleece, a few shelves, tissue boxes, and a lovely layered hammock at the top. Initially only Enzo climbed into the hammock, and Romeo was too sick to climb even to the lowest shelf. It's really only been a few days now, but last night, for the first time, Romeo climbed all the way to the hammock!

These boys have excellent appetites! They just love everything I give them. After out time, tonight's treat menu.... green and red baby lettuce, blueberries, and bits of honeydew and watermelon.

Really, these boys are so sweet, so well socialized, I can't imagine how anyone could have neglected them! They're going to make some lucky person very happy when they're ready for adoption!

I'm sorting thru the photos now, and hope to post them soon.

More progress... this morning at meds time, BOTH boys came clamoring for their meds!

Romeo is showing a lot more enthusiasm and is starting to look more like a furball than a balding old man rat. The progress he's making is remarkable!

And Enzo, in the meantime, is now so energetic. He always wants to come out and play! ... and I can't resist... so lots more out time for Enzo!

:joy: :joy: :joy:

Sweet Romeo... Health issues are still a fact of life for him, but I believe he is the happiest man rat ever in spite of it! Tonight I took Romeo and Enzo out to run free in a safe rat proofed space. And after investigating thoroughly, Romeo found himself a safe spot and began to brux and boggle. Then Enzo came to join him with his usual "groom me" behavior, and Enzo began to brux! There's so much I can't do to make them completely healthy again, but tonight, I think if they could speak, they'd say they've found paradise.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Thank goodness you guys now have Enzo and Romeo. they sound like sweethearts. pics!

I enjoyed reading Socrates' story for the first time now too. he sounds like one of those big lovable squishes that's just perfect. so glad he is in a great home.

Both Enzo and Romeo look so much better. I decided to post the before and after photos to show you, when I found that the before photos are absolutely awful.. that is.. either blurred or had bad lighting, etc. So, I'm going to post today's photos. They've been on meds for just shy of two weeks now, and most all the scabs are gone. Their coats are much better, they both have lots more energy and the respiratory sounds have decreased in frequency.

Here is Romeo (a gentle, easy-going heart-throb of a boy)

And Enzo (an active, friendly, inquisitive soul)

Yay for Socrates, Enzo and Romeo! :joy: :joy: I finally got my act together on a day off from work and read through the thread about OPRats' rescues, ChrisK!! I'm loving the updates about the rescued sweeties, thanks for letting people know what's been happening lately at the rescue and official quarantine. You're awesome! :hugs:

We've been so lucky to have found such amazing fosters and adopters, and to know that previously abandoned, neglected or mistreated ratties are now in safe, loving homes is the best feeling in the world! :heart:

I've loved reading these stories, I hope once Romeo and Enzo are healthier they find wonderful forever homes just like Socrates has. Thank you for sharing these wonderful stories ChrisK.

Well, I'm long overdue to post another story of hope.. There's much to say.. OPRats has been very very busy these days! Let me just finish up with an update on the Quarantine boys.. Romeo and Enzo the Badger.

Last Wednesday I brought them both to the rescue headquarters. Romeo has greatly improved, but will need meds for a bit longer before he's ready for adoption. Enzo is healthy, happy, energetic, intelligent... he's a wonderful man rat! The two of them have their fights, but they clearly are very close. Here are a few photos of these lovely boys. :heart: :heart:

Awwww, thanks ChrisK for posting these lovely pics of Enzo and Romeo! They're such sweeties! :heart: :heart:

Back