old man breathing hard, fluffed up, and smelly pee-pee

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumblesquid

This thread is regarding my Rufus, who I've been trying to help feel better basically since the day I got him (about a year ago). I got him from a shelter who agreed with me that he was an old man, even then.

He has been relatively fine, aside from being shy and acute respiratory issues, up until the end of december 2012. Then I noticed that his penis had a brown, smelly goop around it (kind of smelled like rancid BBQ sauce with a little maple syrup). I called the vet who said it was probably a bladdar infection and got some cipro, and followed the instructions to put him on .2 ml of it twice daily. I stopped in february when I decided that it wasn't working, called the vet, and picked up some smz to replace the cipro. After a few weeks of that his breathing became labored, his coat is fluffed constantly, he became less active, and his eyes are squinted or closed. There is no wheezing, gasping, or breathing noises. He has been like this for a couple of days now. The vet has been out of office every time I call (very frustrating) and he doesn't come back until tomorrow (monday). I bought some infant ibuprofen and I've been giving him 15 mg every 6-8 hours to try and help with any pain. When the vet opens tomorrow and I'm bringing him into the office in the morning instead of going to school.

I have some ideas as to what this could be: A stubborn bladder infection and an intense respiratory infection (likely), or the vet said the smelly, goopy penis could be caused by is a kidney (bladder? I forgot) stone. He said he's never seen one in a rat before but that they happen in guinea pigs. I think the second idea could be why he's breathing hard because he's probably in intense pain if he does have a stone (I hear they're really painful in humans!)

I'm really hoping he holds onto life at least until tomorrow... If you have any advice on what to do until tomorrow, what to ask the vet, what this could be, how to fix it, etc. PLEASE help!

Perhaps try to soak the penis area in a small bowl of warm water to help dissolve a stubborn plug. If he's sensitive down there from infection, he's not going to want the area touched. Warmth and a bit of moisture may help, and then perhaps some gentle wiping with a clean, warm cloth?

Now my question is - can a penis plug progress into causing breathing issues? Or does he also have a respiratory infection? Either way, I'm going to the vet tomorrow.

I'm glad you got that plug out; it may have been brown and smelly from urine and bacteria forming around it. I would suspect that pain and/or discomfort from that could cause heavier breathing, but it's best to have the vet listen to his lungs anyway. I'd probably ask for something like Clavamox (unless the vet suggests otherwise) for three weeks to counter any secondary bacterial infection going on anywhere from that plug; perhaps baytril/amoxicillin for both possible respiratory and any secondary infection. So glad you had success getting that out. Wash the area down with a mild saline solution and or just clean warm water and mild soap, then dry him there and keep him on a clean blanket or clean newspaper and blankets to prevent any shavings getting into the area. Fingers crossed this alone starts to help him feel better!

I'm sure your little old man is happy you got rid of that plug!
Unfortunately, he may have a couple of things going on at once. He may still have a respiratory problem or a heart problem, so a vet visit is definitely in the cards. Good luck!

I would think that the respiratory issue is the primary problem with him which might have caused him to stop cleaning his penis.
So I would ask the vet for some baytril and doxy for his breathing and if he does have a bladder issue, it should resolve with the baytril too.

Thank you all!

I just gave him a treat (dark chocolate, he loves it but the others don't so no stealing). I'll definitely look into the right meds to ask the vet for because he doesn't always give me the best ones... I'm thinking cipro/doxy because for some reason he never gives me baytril but cipro is close. I washed the area and he's in his cage which doesn't have shavings, but instead absorbent cage liners. I suppose I'll keep him on the smz until tomorrow? Or should I use the leftover cipro? Thanks again!

I know you won't be happy with this, but I didn't get your message until today about cipro vs baytril. The vet actually gave me cipro and flagyl... I'm not sure how much flagyl will work. Should I push this vet, or perhaps buy some baytril and doxy online? Or do you think it's worth risking the few days to see if he shows any sign of improvement? Maybe find another vet? My issue now is to convince my parents whatever the best option is...

I would use the meds you got. The Baytril online sometimes is advertised as Baytril but it's actually cipro. But in the meantime, I'd probably look for another vet.
How is he now?

I had used the meds I was given. Unfortunately, they didn't seem to be doing anything and Rufus just got worse. He got to a point where he couldn't walk right and I took him out of the cage so he wouldn't fall. I was holding him and for the first time in his life he let me cuddle him, but he was breathing harder and I think he just gave up at that point (usually he'd run away from me because he wasn't socialized until his later life). He wasn't eating or drinking, either, not even oatmeal (his favorite). I took him yesterday to be euthanized and he went very peacefully. Old man Rufus will always be remembered. I think his last few hours of cuddling were a 'thank you' for trying to help him, even if there was more I could have done...

Back