The Rat Shack > Rattie 911 > ER > Rat can't walk, just laying on his side -Rest well my Jasper

Old 02-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #1
shhtephanie

Default Rat can't walk, just laying on his side -Rest well my Jasper

I have noooo idea what is wrong with Jasper...
he's about 1 year old, and has always been pretty porphyrin-ish around his nose.
He had what I assume is an ear infection when he was a baby and was on meds for it. He was fine but since then he's always been a tilty head rat.
Yesterday I noticed some porphyrin around his eye but didn't really think much of it.
Today he can barely walk at all...he's pretty much on his side and tries to pull himself with his front arms but just falls and ends up spinning and freaking out. It's heartbreaking to watch and I have no idea what to do....
Ive been giving him water with a syringe and holding food for him to eat but he is not doing too well.

Should I put him in the hamster cage for tonight so everything is right there and he won't have the chance of falling in the CN?? or would he be better off staying in the CN with the other boys??

Is there anything I can give him??
Does this sound like something meds could help or would he have to be pts?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #2
Cinderwolf
Crazy Rat Overlord

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Re: EMERGENCY! - Rat can't walk...just laying on his side

Sounds like he could of had a stroke, or possibly PT. but im not sure, hopefully someone more knowledgeable can answer. For now I would keep feeding and watering and just watch to make sure he doesn't fall. perhaps the hamster cage with a gentle buddy for the night so he isnt alone but also cant fall or hurt himself.

Rest in Peace
La Jolla, Roxy, Quinten and Dante my Tiny Guardian Angels and the Loves of my Life. <3

Old 02-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #3
RattusNorvegicus

Sounds like his inner ear infection is back. Try to stay calm. I would perhaps put him in the hamster cage with a buddy for now so he doesn't fall. Provide some clothes or blankets he can burrow in to feel less dizzy.

Can you get him to the vet first thing tomorrow? I would suggest a dose of Ibuprofen, but if you can get him to a vet it may be best to hold off since an injection of Dexamethasone would be best and it can't be given with NSAID's. Keep doing what you're doing and keep us updated.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
victoria

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I agree about the ear infection, I just went through this myself. Keep him warm and comfortable and get him to the vet as soon as possible. I would be careful about giving him fluids by mouth, he may have trouble swallowing depending how bad it is.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
shhtephanie

thanks for the responses...I still have him in the CN right now because he is curled up in his house and I don't want to disturb him, but I think I will put him in the hamster cage with a buddy before I go to sleep, just in case.
Tomorrow is Family Day, so I'm not sure if the vet will be open or not, but I will definitely try to get him in as soon as possible.

In regards to the Dexamethasone...what would that do? Any specific medication anyone can recommend/tell me to avoid?
And assuming it is the ear infection issue...does this mean he was never really treated properly the 1st time, or is it common that once they have had it they can get it again?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
victoria

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ear infections are very difficult to get rid of. It may be that he didn't fully recover the first time or that he got another one.

If you leave him in the CN, take away the ramp so he can't climb and make sure there is soft food accessible him if he wants.

Chlorpalm or Clavamox are supposed to be good for penetrating the tissue and treating ear infections I believe and they can both be combined with Baytril. Depending on how badly he's doing, it may be too late for treatment. Usually I would say save the money and don't go to an e-vet but in this case, if you can find one that treats rats it may be worthwhile to get him in sooner rather than later.

Good luck.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
Sharlees rattakisses

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Poor sweetie.
Hopefully all will be cleared up with meds.

KITTIES
Phantom Little Louie Misty Simon Steve Sabre

IN MY HEART

Delilah Leila Kenny Myles Jenny Myah Butter Bean Jeramy Onion Sonora Whisper Ally Pengu Walnut Cloud Ellie Skye Keewee Rube Milky Seraphina Philbert Reggie Tofu Poppet Wally Jaggy Bear fat cat
Olive & Randy Butternubs

Old 02-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #8
Dahlas

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I agree with the others...he should see a vet ASAP. What meds do you have on hand?

Old 02-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
SQ

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 26

He needs to see a good rat vet today!
As others have said he need dex (reduces inflamation, given by injection once a day for up to 5 days, although lilaspaz68 has given it for longer time periods). Then I believe you awit a day and start him on predisone.

Antibiotics given for an inner ear infection are usually either baytril + clavamox, or else chlorpalm. These are usually given for at least 6 weeks, although I had a girl who had to be on anitibiotics for almost 4 months before the infection was completely gone.

He needs to be kept warm, comfortable, and hydrated.
Sub-Q fluids would likely help if you know how to do it and have the equiptment.
(info here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6235&start=0
Vets or vet techs will teach people how to do this)

hope he is soon feeling better

Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses

Old 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Teri

It sounds a little more serious than an ear infection. Lack of muscle strength and possible loss of motor skills make me think more along the lines of pituitary tumor or stroke, possible something else affecting the brain. Vet is a must this morning. Be sure and check for odor coming from the ear, that is usually a dead giveaway for ear infection.