Petunia and her bubs - the end of an era...pg 20

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bela, is Ivy still with you? If so, that's her and Fionn and Faren still chugging along at 32 months. I have to admit, their momma Petunia was one of my favourites.

She is but she is not doing well and I have been thinking of taking to the vet and letting her go to see her brothers and sisters. She no longer can eat hard food and I have to give her a bath as she gets covered in food (she rolls in it). Her quality of life is not good and it breaks my heart to see her this way. She sleeps and eats :-(

I do not know much about how they put them to sleep but I am thinking of calling the vet this weekend

I'm sorry. She is a little old lady at this point. If you feel she has no quality of life, then that may be the right decision.
For Daffy she had an injection of sedation first, and then after about 15 minutes we gave her gas to knock her out. Once she was out, then the vet can inject the Euthanol into their heart and they don't feel it.
If you can't stand to wait, then they can gas her down without the sedation. I just like being able to hold them while they get dozy. Insist that she is totally out before they inject her.
Anyway, hugs to you and sweet Ivy. I'm glad you could take the girls and give them a loving home.
:hugs:

Ivy went to play with her sisters and brothers this past weekend :pale: Though I am sad about her passing as she was the most active and gentle rattie, she lived a long life and she passed away at home quietly. Empty cages now and I do not think I will be getting any new ones as I have found it so very hard to take there passing.

Play hard at the Bridge sweet Ivy, and give lots of love from us to momma Petunia, Daffy, Poppy, Dahlia and Sweet Pea. It is hard on the heart, saying goodbye to our little babies. I'm glad you could give all your ratties a good home Bela. It made a big difference for them!
:hugs:

I am so sorry about Ivy, Bela. I know people need time after they lose the last of their babies, before being ready to have rats again. I know how you feel.

Rest peacefully and play free at the Bridge, Ivy. :flowers:

Fionn passed away last night, my dear old man. He had no use of his hind end and was ready to cross the rainbow bridge, and did so peacefully, in his sleep. His sister Faren, the last remaining of Petunia's little babies is still around, though I feel sad that she is mourning the loss of her brother. They always loved eachother so much. I feel lucky to have shared some of my life with such a happy, silly little guy.

Oh, I am so sorry about Fionn. :(

He passed away at home, in a loving environment and surrounded by family. What rat could ask for more as they head to the Bridge? Rest peacefully sweet boy. :flowers:

I feel so lucky that Fionn and Faren went to such a great home. They have obviously had great care and have lived a long life. They were born three years ago in October! Fionn and my gal Dixie left the same night, so I like to think they are keeping each other company. RIP sweet Fionn :heart:

Sad news from breakthenight: Faren, the last of Petunia's babies, has left to join the rest of her family at the Bridge. She had a wonderful life, but just kept slowing down, especially after her brother Fionn left. She passed peacefully at home and now is buried next to her brother. Farewell Miss Faren, give my love to everyone.

Miss you my sweet 'Tuny girl! I'm glad you and your babies came to stay with me and then on to some wonderful homes. I'll see you and the whole gang when I get there. :heart:

Hugs to you all.. I hate when those come to an end. We have been there a few times. Play hard at the bridge to the whole family.

Oh, I am so sorry about Faren. :(

I know you are glad she is with her family at the Bridge and playing hard and resting easy, surrounded by love.

Sending my love up to Faren tonight.. :flowers1:

Back