The Quick Question Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Rebel_Angel*

I searched and searched but I couldn't find just a place to ask one quick question without starting a whole new thread and filling this
forum with two post thread's.

So I'm trying this, we had one on my Betta fish forum and it was a big hit...wonder if it will be here.
And I'm starting it mostly cause I have my own quick question!

Question:
I ran out of baby wipes and to cut down on the cost cause I clean my two cages with those wipes, can I just clean the cage with
vinegar and water every week? Or do I need to go get more wipes.

I don't use baby wipes at all, I clean the cage with vinegar and water once a week or sometimes twice a week if it really gross fast
I use fleece liners and litter boxes (that they use when they feel like it :roll: ) so I pick out stray poops and whatnot and wipe off anything icky with a damp rag

why would you need to use baby wipes? they are convenient, for sure, but I never thought of them as something you *had to* have........?

Good idea for a Quick Question thread... I think I'll even sticky it.
Like Petunia, I don't use baby wipes either... just water and vinegar and a bit of dish soap.

Ditto - two squirt bottles, one with vinegar and water, one to follow with plain water. I like using it because I can clean the cage without worrying about anyone being around. They think it's great fun to steal a used paper towel...

I always have baby wipes on hand though I only use them for quick shelf wipedowns since they're great for giving the rats a wipedown without stressing them out (AND they seem to be the best thing for getting my husband's greasy fingerprints off the walls!)

Moon said:
(AND they seem to be the best thing for getting my husband's greasy fingerprints off the walls!)

*lol* :lol:

No before I discovered the wonders of vinegar and water I used sensitive baby wipes to wipe down the cage, been told that u could use baby wipes.
I researched and discovered that vinegar and water can disinfect as well as eliminates odors, so I was doing a monthly cleaning wit that.

But I was just wondering if it was ok to use vinegar and water everytime I clean the cage, just because the time I did a big cage wipedown the smell or the lack there of made Aili and Kaina feel like stranger's in their own home...it took time for them to actually come out of hiding!
----------
Awwww!!! :cloud9: :dance: I feel so honored jo I actually did something right!
U've made my day!!

I use both...wipes work well for shelf wipe downs, cleaning dirty tails, etc :) Vinegar and water is awesome for really good cleans...Tanis taught me to use it in a spray bottle *doh*...You can even use the vinegar solution AND the baby wipe as your "cloth" :p

I have been using a actual cage cleaning spray I got from FTC...spray it on and it dissolves really bad messes or the crud (urine/lab block dust) that collects on the bottom of FN and CN doors. I use it sparingly so that bottle will last a long time :)

http://www.chinchilla.ca/items.php?Prod ... urce=acces

I'm really glad I opened this thread, as the queen of quick question's (I was born way too curious) with what is this and what is that I rarely have points to my questions!

Question:
Red poop...I noticed one of my rats pooping reddish poop, can this be caused by her food..she's the only one that seem's to love red pepper's and cherry tomatoes. Can that be causing it?
I've been feeding those and more veggies all week now.

I'll lay off the red veggies and see if she poops red still.

But if u say it's normal I'll keep giving her those cause I feel guilty cutting her from healthy snack's that she loves!

Jup.. I´ve seen my share of weird colored poop :laugh4:
Just cut back a little and you´ll be fine like lispaz said :wink2:

lilspaz68 said:
Too much broccoli or asparagus = hold your nose....stinky rats!! :sick2:

Lol...I've never been brave enough to try asparagus with the kiddos. I've smelled what it does to humans. Rat pee is already funky enough without adding that kind of fuel to the fire :lol:

temblabamomo said:
lilspaz68 said:
Too much broccoli or asparagus = hold your nose....stinky rats!! :sick2:

Lol...I've never been brave enough to try asparagus with the kiddos. I've smelled what it does to humans. Rat pee is already funky enough without adding that kind of fuel to the fire :lol:

Nuh-uh! Not the urine, they become little farters LOL

lilspaz68 said:
Nuh-uh! Not the urine, they become little farters LOL
I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever heard a rat fart. Wouldn't it be such a teeny little toot that it is above our hearing range? :cheeky:

Back