Theophylline

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have heard this is good for scarred lungs.

I am curious to what the doseing would be, I can't find it anywhere on the site, and it would be good to let my vet know (just incase he don't)

This is what I found at one site:

Pet Meds Theophylline ER - Theophylline is a bronchodilator used in the treatment of heart failure, pulmonary edema, bronchial asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
http://www.animalshelter.org/petmeds/He ... R/175.html

Sounds like a good drug for the rats. I'm afraid I can`t help you with dosages... I`ve never tried it but have you checked the Rat Guide?

oopps, I never found anything on rat guide :emb:

i asked my vet about this tonight, he says the inhaler I have is the same or better. He dose not like using it.

Ratty Momma, he says the human inhaler is better or works the same?
Shelagh, how is yours given? orally? According to the rat guide, it's not as effective if given orally.

Inhaler Is better.

he says Theophylline can sometimes make them worse, he dose not like using it.

That's what I'm going to do.

I was asking about it for Toby, but he says the inhaler is better.
I added more humidty to the rat room last night, and Toby is not making hardly any sounds.
When he get's bad again, we will be adding a steriod for inflammation.

@lilspaz68 Regarding your rough breathers....is it from Myco or something else?

My vet is thinking of putting my rattie on it because her breathing has changed a bit. Although we don't think it's myco because there is no sound, no red staining, nothing. She has instead tumors all over her body and in her kidney. I'm thinking that might be causing the distress and breathing shift.

In your experience, does this drug help with any sort of breathing distress or is it strictly for myco reasons?

She was just given a shot of depo to stop inflammation, but that didn't really help... :(

-M.

Back