temblabamomo's rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

temblabamomo

Finally have access to a computer that doesn't block image hosting, huzzah!

I adopted Morrissey & Maserati from the SPCA when they were roughly 11 weeks old. They were meant to be companions for my dear old Barnaby after his brother passed on. I wasn't sure I was going to go on looking after rats, but within about five seconds of meeting Morrissey I was in love.

Morrissey is a scamp, scalliwag, rascal, imp, scoundrel...etc. They weren't handled much as babes, and despite my best efforts Morrissey remains rebellious towards me. Morrissey is the rat who's always finding ways to escape the cage or play area, hoarding my belongings, and chewing rat-sized holes through the bottom of his cage. He's friendly enough though, loves to crawl all over me, and when he gets sleepy he can't resist bruxing a bit as I pet that bit of fuzz between his nose and the top of his head. He's 6 months old now.
PB302597.jpg

Maserati, or Maz, is the sweetheart of the group. He was immediately trusting of me within hours of arriving home from the shelter. He is always scrambling up the cage walls as soon as I get home from work or when I wake up in the morning, wanting me to pay attention to him. Maz spends a lot of time running about the cage grooming his brothers like it's his job. At the end of a long play session, I can usually count on him curling up on my lap and burying his nose in the crook of my elbow. I'll never get a decent shot of him with my terrible camera, the flash always washes him out, but he has a pale champagne hood, and the hairs on the back of his neck are all ticked with a brown/cinnamon color.
P9262278b.jpg

Maxwell came along a bit later. A friend of a friend wanted him to be around other rats after his cagemate passed on. He was pretty thin and lethargic and itchy when I took him, but now he's a big healthy boy and enjoys life with his two little brothers. Not sure how old Maxie is, but he acts just like a youngster at times, and he and Morrissey are thick as thieves most of the time. His former person told me he stopped eating after his cagemate died, but within weeks after moving in with his new family he had a complete personality change, like a new rat. I'm glad we could give him a good home. Here he is exploring under the leopard canopy with Maz.
PA152388.jpg

Morrissey, Max & Maz
PB302604.jpg

Obie is our most recent addition. He was all alone at the shelter, and after seeing how sweet and sociable he was, I couldn't leave him. I'm still waiting and watching for his personality to unfold, but he seems quite sweet. I am hoping to do intros with him and Maz in a couple of weeks, then the other two. He's got those very deep, dark ruby eyes. The color shows up a bit different on my camera, but in person (or rat) the base of his fur is cream/white, and the tips are silver. Would that be pearl? Idk. But I suppose it doesn't matter, he's a nice guy, and I'm glad I brought him home.
PC062613.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm starting to think Obie may never mesh with the other guys. I've tried every intro trick in the book, we've taken it slow and I've been oh-so patient with him. Max is the problem; he won't tolerate the guy. I've tried intros with Obie and the other boys (both neutered and very friendly) but Obie wants nothing to do with them. I'd consider a neuter but he's not so young, and he's incredibly sweet and happy in the company of people. We'll try some more with the intros, but I don't have very high hopes.

Obie
PC222712.jpg

PC182669.jpg

Max, checking out the new carrier Santa brought him...everyone saw Dr. P the other week and with Obie we now need 2 carriers.
PC222692.jpg

Morrissey enjoying the Kleenex box
PC122668.jpg

Maz, chewing on something or other...
PC082628.jpg

PC022606.jpg

Maz is so funny lately, he's always loved burrowing under blankets or laundry on my bed, but lately every time I take him off the bed and set him back down to play with his brothers on the floor, 2 minutes later I turn around and see him back on the bed. I don't even know how he's getting up there tbh...he just comes and goes as he pleases. I don't mind, except now he's making excursions back to the cage for lab blocks. I keep going to bed only to find crumbs and half eaten blocks.
P3230138.jpg

P3230136.jpg

But I can't get upset with this face, now can I?
P3120003.jpg

Obie, during his special Friday night time on the sofa with mom (they watch Ghost Adventures together every Friday...)
P31800262.jpg

Apparently Obie is bored by this show, and lets us all know by systematically chewing up a blanket until he's created a comfy nest.
P3200092.jpg

Maxie! Still enjoying his jungle hammocks from Rat Stash (but we'll be ordering more soon!!)
P3170005.jpg

Every time I see Max (left) with this look on his face while he's snuggled with Morrissey (right), I know taking him in has got to be one of the best decisions I ever made. What a big happy old boy :heart:
P3160002.jpg

Wow, I haven't updated this thread in a minute. No time like the present!

There have been some major changes over the past month. With the loss of both my alphas, the remaining four boys (two groups of two now) were in a sad state. Morrissey and Maz were both deeply subdued after the loss of their Uncle Max. In the other cage, Wolfie took Obie's departure as an opportunity to step up and assert himself as new alpha over sweet little Bear. He turned into a bit of a tyrant, and poor Bear was miserable. We tried some group intros to see if Morrissey and Maz could reign in Wolfie's bullying ways, but to no avail. Bear moved in with Maz and Morrissey, who accepted him immediately. Little Bear is world's happier with them, and his arrival brought Maz and Morr out of their state of mourning. They're a happy trio.

Bear buddying up with new friend Morrissey
P5100522.jpg

P5100523.jpg

Bear enjoying Out Time
P5100543.jpg

P5100544.jpg

P5100535.jpg

Bear is a weirdo. I keep trying to figure out if there is something physically wrong with him, but I find nothing. He is happy in the cage with his friends, but seems to hate Out Time. He seems to genuinely dislike coming out of the cage, and most of his Out Time usually occurs during cage cleanings, or Couch Time. He's very active in the cage, just hates being out. Weird.

New awesome hammie from Rat Stash. They LOVE this thing.
P4300446.jpg

P4300445.jpg

P4300444.jpg

Morrissey and Maz
P5100545.jpg

P5100539.jpg

P5100531.jpg

All boys enjoyed some Couch Time during the Rangers/Devils game the other evening.
P5250789.jpg

P5250787.jpg

P5250786.jpg

P5250784.jpg

P5250781.jpg

Morrissey, not fat, just swollen with love and happiness...
P5250776.jpg

Posing nicely
P5250766.jpg

Maz and little Bear
P5250774.jpg

P5250773.jpg

P5250772.jpg

My Maz gets thinner and thinner. Still on abs, maintaining. His breathing is quieter now, but fast. Still treating as needed with pred, and he's livelier now than he's been in months. I think he may be on borrowed time now.
P5250768.jpg

But we'll enjoy every minute of it :heart:
P5250763.jpg

And of course, the man of the hour, Wolfgang. He gets better and better since his release from the vet. While the others watched the hockey game, Wolf investigated their cage, and decided it was a nice place to stretch out for a nap.
P5250790.jpg

All tucked in after a long day :heart:
P5260763.jpg

Intros with Helo and the Wolf have been slow, but they're making progress. Wolfie has calmed down a lot since the neuter. He usually submits to Helo, but as soon as Helo wanders off, Wolfie is hot on his tail. They're getting along okay, but not ready to be proper housemates yet. Helo is a little too rough, I'm hoping to see him calm down in time. Otherwise, he'll be next in line for a neuter.
p6110436.jpg

p6110427.jpg

Action shot!
p6110426.jpg

p6110421.jpg

p6110419.jpg

p6110418.jpg

p6110417.jpg

p6110416.jpg

p6110414.jpg

p6110412.jpg

p6110411.jpg

p6110410.jpg

p6110409.jpg

Wolfie, doin the Wolf thing, howling at the moon...
p6110405.jpg

Wolf has gotten noticeably...plump. I blame the neuter...
p6110399.jpg

Do I look thinner if I stretch?
p6110398.jpg

Chubby or not, I'm still darn cute, ain't I?
p6110394.jpg

Wolfie's rump fur, growing back slowly but surely
p6110389.jpg

Helo the explorer
p6110439.jpg

My other group is quieter, less active. They are older, so it's expected. Bear did not make an appearance during this Out Time...he is acting more normal lately, but is still a recluse. He came out on his own and did normal play time, just never let me take his picture. Next time maybe.

Sweet little Maz during Out Time.
p6110343.jpg

p6110344.jpg

Giving me a bath
p6110346.jpg

My sweet little snowpea can be right fierce when he wants. You'd never know how bad his resp issues are to watch him wrassle this toy.
p6110357.jpg

p6110358.jpg

p6110370.jpg

A challenger appears
p6110372.jpg

Tag team! <3 my fierce old boys <3
p6110373.jpg

Holy smokes! Been almost a year since this thread was updated, wow. Lots of new critters need to be added to it. I’ve never had the joy of raising a group of youngsters from the 4-ish week range. I've had a couple of single ratties at that age, but never a group of little ones. These 4 from the Norfolk hoarder will be staying with me permanently :D New babies will be along soon, but they are fosters for adoption.

These kids are hilarious, and they’re growing so fast!

Baby Eugene
p5300368.jpg

p5300367.jpg

p5300427.jpg

p5300411.jpg

Hallo thar!
p5300406.jpg

p5300381.jpg

Eugene & Daryl
p5300388.jpg

Sweet Daryl
p5300371.jpg

p5300375.jpg

p5300398.jpg

p5300424.jpg

Handsome, but shy Evandus. He already dwarfs his brothers. He’ll be a big boy.
p5300401.jpg

p5300408.jpg

p5300374.jpg

p5300390.jpg

Wee, trouble-making Merle, always at the center of ruckus and racket…
p5300419.jpg

p5300403.jpg

p5300394.jpg

p5300392.jpg

Note to the right of Merle, the complete pancake that is Eugene lol
p5300383.jpg

Before anyone freaks out, know that playtime with adults is very closely monitored. I have had luck in the past with very young rats doing some intros early, before they’re a hormonal threat to my adult males. Helo has always been great with new rats, and I’m pleased that Sid seems to be enjoying these kids as well. I am hopeful that daily exposure to each other may make it possible for this to be a group of six somewhere down the road without too much intro trouble.

Helo & Eugene
p5300430.jpg

Bath…
p5300431.jpg

Daryl & Helo…I have caught these two snuggled up asleep a few times.
p5300410.jpg

Sid, whispering encouragement and advice to his miniature clone, Merle, on how to be a scoundrel
p5300413.jpg

Sid is concerned that his cuteness has been replaced by the babies. Giving him a lot of extra love to make sure he knows mama still loves him.
p5300396.jpg

Sweet Helo, mama’s boy <3
p5300407.jpg

The other youngsters are getting to that hormonal stage where all they ever do is tussel and bicker. No injuries so far, but Moose man is probably going to need a neuter. Might as well do Mo, too, while I’m at it. Down the road, I would like to put these boys with Helo, Sid and the babies (in my new, soon-to-arrive DCN wahoo!)

Asmodeus (Mo)
p5300450.jpg

p5300442.jpg

Moose man says “Put me down!”
p5300435.jpg

“Gotta clean all that human stink off me now, sheesh…”
p5300445.jpg

No pics of the halfies…hope to have some new ones soon. Technically they’re still fosters, I aim to talk to L when this whole hoarder situation blows over and ask her for the official adoption paperwork for them. Cy is completely unadoptable; he is on the neuter list, but even then I don’t think he can be managed. Saffron and Ox are doing wonderfully. Have to get some shots of them this weekend when they’re out watching hockey on t.v. with me.

Oh my goodness what a bunch of cuteies thak you for sharing their gorgeous little faces with us.
I'd like to nominate the 2nd picture of Evandus for RPOM what a stunning expression.

SarahA said:
Oh my goodness what a bunch of cuteies thak you for sharing their gorgeous little faces with us.
I'd like to nominate the 2nd picture of Evandus for RPOM what a stunning expression.

Thanks! He sure is a looker. I'm pleased to have him. never had a blue before.

They are all so stinkin' cute!!! Enjoy them while they are little - those cute little boys will become terrors!!!! We've just started the snip snips - new house rule, you can't behave off with the rathood!!!

I'll second the nomination

Back