scale to weigh rats

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
is this an ok scale for weighing rats? I don't have much $ (well right now I don't have any) but when I get some I think I need to have a scale for my rats

and this one is about what I think I could afford, do you think it'd be ok?

it weighs in grams but apparently not fractions of grams, is that sufficient?

and would a rat fit in that bowl?

[url="http://www.wholesale-scales....w.wholesale-scales.com/index.p ... ucts_id=78[/url]

That seems like a good one. I use a digital flat kitchen scale, as I find the bowels tip over.

That should be just fine :) Does it have a Tare option where you can bring the weight back to zero even with a container on it? It's very handy :) My pelouze postal scale has that :D

I bought a digital scale at my supermarket for about $20 CAD, although I've seen them for less. It has a tare option so I can put a heavy bowl on it and reset it so that my little devils can't dash out right away.

Looks good,I don't think they have to be pricey to work well, I got the biggest loser scale lol for about 10 dollars at my local grocery store. Works fine :)

I use a kitchen scale that has a flat stage. It can measure in grams or ounces, and can even weigh fluid ounces. It has a zeroing feature, so I can place a bowl or box or any container on the stage first, then set it to zero, then add whatever ingredient (or rat) I am weighing. Very accurate! It came in handy when one of the rats was sick, and I wanted to monitor her weight. I have used it so many times when cooking/baking, and even when weighing envelopes and small packages, so I know how much postage will cost. Definitely paid for itself. You can find them at places such as Home Outfitters. I bought mine at Linens 'n' Things, but sadly they're gone now.

look for a digital scale that will weigh accurately to 1 gram and has a tare function (so you can put a container on it and get it to weigh 0, and then it will only give you the weight of the rattie and not count the weight of the container the rattie is sitting in)

make sure the scale is large enough to be able to weigh a rattie and still see the numbers

There are likely a lot of good scales out there. I use a digital postal scale I bought in 2004 so I can't suggest a brand name

good luck

Back