The Rat Shack > Rattie 911 > Health and General Care > Mari can't keep weight on

Help Support Ratshack Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:30 AM   #1
UhHuhHer
RATS_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 75 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default Mari can't keep weight on

Mariel is about five months old and hairless. She's very active and she's usually a very healthy girl. Except every few weeks, she loses weight very quickly. Usually, I can up her portions a little and it helps, but sometimes it keeps dropping. Twice, we've had nights where she was nearly skeletal, pale, cold, and lethargic. I had to wrap her in a blanket and get her body temperature up and then feed her baby food and lab blocks (and sometimes fruit) until she starts to get back to normal. It's scary. And after both episodes, my vet gave her a clean bill of health. She suggested I feed her more than the others and maybe try some different things.

This week I noticed her weight was dropping again and got proactive. I've made the rats pasta and rice, I've given them nuts and cheerios. I've given Mari baby food and some dried fruits just to herself. I'm still having trouble getting her body temperature up and she's losing weight again. I don't know what to do. And the cold has to be something more serious than just the house being too chilly. The basement stays at around 70(f), she has two hidey houses and a fluffy hammock, and three rats with fur that she snuggles with daily.

Still a proud mother to my babies, playing on the bridge together.
RIP: Pinky, General Stonewall Jackson, Troll, Dotty, Mohini, Phillip, Gumdrop, Eos, Lucille, Tremolo, Trill, Grendel, Jinn, Wilbur, Finley, Gumbo, Scarfhog, Cyril, Maisy, and Mariel.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-19-2017, 02:33 AM   #2
Sheldon
Rataholic

Liked 570 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Anytime I hear about weight fluctuating rapidly I automatically think of pituitary tumours. The other possibility is a metabolic disorder. Is she eating a lot but still losing?

Bonus pets (fishes )
RIP Gollum, Carnival

Old 06-19-2017, 02:41 AM   #3
UhHuhHer
RATS_SUPPORTER.png

Sometimes. Like I said, for a week or two at a time she'll eat and gain or stay at the same weight. But then suddenly she'll eat normally and lose weight rapidly. But, yes. Generally she is eating a good amount and it doesn't always help.

RIP: Pinky, General Stonewall Jackson, Troll, Dotty, Mohini, Phillip, Gumdrop, Eos, Lucille, Tremolo, Trill, Grendel, Jinn, Wilbur, Finley, Gumbo, Scarfhog, Cyril, Maisy, and Mariel.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1570 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 212

I would feed her healthy fats like avocado, olive oil, coconut oil. But try and keep her protein low. Hopefully it's not her kidneys.
SQ Likes This 
Old 06-19-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
UhHuhHer
RATS_SUPPORTER.png

Okay. I have olive oil and I can get some avocados tonight. She loves trying new things, so she'll be really cooperative.

This morning when I went to check on her, she was warm and had a little belly again. It was a huge relief, but I'm not going to be able to relax until I get some answers and a way to move forward for her. This is really one of the first two heart rats I've had in a long time. She means so much to me and I'm scared I'm going to lose her young.

I honestly hadn't thought about it being either a tumor or a kidney problem, but I've been too panicked about it to think too clearly about it. I'll have that in mind to ask about when I take her back to our vet. Maybe we can get closer to finding answers if I have a way to start. Any other things I should make sure to bring up with her?

Old 06-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

I just re read the your first post and realize she's very young. At that age, I'd be thinking respiratory distress. PT and even kidneys is not something we think about at such a young age. But you said your vet has given her a clean bill of health every time. My mom did have a hairless girl who was pretty skinny all her life and she lived a long time. Some rats are just skinnier than others. Any chance we can get a picture of her?
SQ Likes This 
Old 06-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #7
UhHuhHer
RATS_SUPPORTER.png

She is a very petite girl. She's fairly lean normally with a tiny belly. But the drops in weight she has are such that her ribs and spine become super visible. And she'll become freezing cold and lethargic along with the drops in weight. Before the cold and lethargy started, I just thought her fluctuating weight was something normal that I just didn't notice when my other rats did it because of their hair.

This is her at a normal weight. She looks a little tubbier when she's hunched up like this.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #8
UhHuhHer
RATS_SUPPORTER.png

I'm trying to find the picture I took when she was super thin and I can't right now, but it's somewhere on my hard drive.

Last edited by UhHuhHer; 06-20-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
UhHuhHer
RATS_SUPPORTER.png

Okay. Because she's hunched, it's hard to see how thin she was in these. But you can tell how pale she is. The night it was taken, she was ice cold and could barely keep her eyes open. You can sort of see her spine, but the worse part was how sunken in her stomach was. I did not pick her up to get a good picture of that. At this point, she was warm enough that we had moved onto trying to feed her.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #10
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

Yes, I can see what you mean and why you are worried, especially at her age. If she was old like over 2 years old, I'd say she looks normal. The spontaneous drop in weight is alarming. Let us know what your vet might think it is.

SQ Likes This