The Rat Shack > Rattie 911 > Health and General Care > Rescued infant. Can (should) I keep it?

Help Support Ratshack Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
amykins

Likes Given: 4

Default Rescued infant. Can (should) I keep it?

About a week ago, I found an orphaned infant literally under the wheel of my car in a shopping center parking lot. I thought it was dead, but on closer inspection, I could see it was breathing. Having no idea where it might have come from, I decided to bring it home & try to nurse it back to health, figuring our chances were slim. Well, six days later, we’re doing well & gaining a little weight. Coat is coming in (variegated brown/black body with white belly & feet), and were passing waste pretty well (pooping independently, but still needing help with urination). Eyes remain closed, so I’m assuming we’re still under two weeks. I found this little one in very close proximity to a pet store & it was only 3grams (underweight, based on what I’ve read). Someone suggested that perhaps it was rejected by the mother & “released” by the pet store. I just can’t imagine how a days old rat would wander across a parking lot by itself? So my first question is, having no clue whether this precious critter is wild or domesticated, how do I determine whether it’s best kept as a pet or released? Having cared for it for days now, I admit I’ve grown attached. I appreciate any insight, experience & advice you can offer. Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
9214E69D-B322-4E51-B8F9-98AFEFEE0053.jpg  

Last edited by amykins; 11-11-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Added tag

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2017, 10:00 PM   #2
SQ
Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Liked 529 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 1337

So glad that you found the baby and that it is doing well.

The baby is likely a pet purchased for reptile food and dropped .... but regardless, the baby can never be released. If it survives it will need to be a pet, hopefully with other rattie friends
There is info on this site on raising orphans http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=21486 and on doing intros when it is older http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32368
Here is a group on facebook that has members with a lot of experience raising orphaned babies Deer Mouse Domesticated & Friends https://www.facebook.com/groups/727990597271456/

Here is some info on Rhydian, an orphaned infant rattie http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/s...ight=Wild+baby

Please try to get a nursing mama with a litter asap to add the baby to ... that is its best chance at survival.
Babies that young have almost no chance of survival otherwise.
I have read that squirrel replacement milk (infant formula) http://www.mcssl.com/store/17128612/milk-replacers is the closest thing to a mama rat's milk (but still not good enough when they are that young) ...... babies that seem to be doing well often die after 5 days or so because they are not getting what they need so I hope you can find a nursing mama
You probably are already aware, but do not give the baby to a pet store or a feeder breeder ...... and wildlife centers often use baby rodents as food for other animals

I really hope the baby survives

Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses

Last edited by SQ; 11-12-2017 at 03:29 AM.

Old 11-12-2017, 01:06 AM   #3
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1556 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Poor little sweetie!! I hope he/she survives.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:55 PM   #4
amykins

Likes Given: 4

Thanks for your replies. Sadly, my little nugget assed away yesterday. S/he got diarrhea on Saturday PM & wasnít her/his-self on Sunday morning. Sunday afternoon s/he passed away. I learned so much from this experience & really feel like a changed person. I wish I could have done more, but Iím glad Whiskers didnít meet her or his end in a damp, cold parking lot. And I feel like Whiskers somehow understood that s/he was loved & safe with me.

Thanks for the support. It was helpful & comforting. 💗🐭
Attached Thumbnails
63B4FB09-4F67-4DAE-A40A-E1B936859BC9.jpg  

Old 11-14-2017, 12:50 AM   #5
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1556 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 206

I'm so very sorry...
amykins Likes This 
Old 11-14-2017, 02:18 PM   #6
SQ
Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Liked 529 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 1337

I am so very sorry

Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses
amykins Likes This 

Tags
domesticated, infant, orphan, wild