The Rat Shack > Rattie 911 > Behaviour > Scared Rat - Treat Training Hasn't Worked

Help Support Ratshack Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:28 PM   #1
Trosit

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Scared Rat - Treat Training Hasn't Worked

Oh boy, *Gusteau sure has me on here often. He had his neuter a month ago but since his biting days I haven't touched him. I will take him out of his cage with his box and let him run over my hands and lap but the moment I move he dashes away. He still hesitates to come up for treats from my hand. If I got him something really good I'll try moving my hand (from his side or lower) towards him but he immediately freezes and stops chewing. So I back away. Any advice?

I don't want him to be a lonely boy. I've moved him to the main room and closed off my double Critter Nation cage so he can stay in one unit. Weekly I want to switch him and the girls to each others cage so they can at least smell and hear each other. I haven't seen his hair puff up anymore at least Do you think introducing them would be worth while? They seem really interested in each other through the bars at play time!

*I'm changing his name to Gaston.
Noooo oooone bites like Gaston
No one fights like Gaston
No one gives a hard time to the vet techs like Gaston!
For there's no one so burly or teste
As you can see he has hormones to spare
Not an inch of him squaggly or scrawny
And every last bit of him's covered in hair!

Last edited by Trosit; 11-06-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2017, 02:48 AM   #2
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1556 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 206

When I had a rat that was skittish with me, I would scoop him/her up and place him/her back down. I would do this several times and offer treats in between. But only do this when you are sure he's no longer biting. And I think it's a great idea to start intros with the girls.

SQ Likes This 
Old 11-07-2017, 03:04 AM   #3
SQ
Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Liked 529 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 1337

it sounds like he may be ready to make some new friends
Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses

Old 11-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #4
Trosit

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No chance of me picking him up. I still have the scars to remind me to be careful. Guess I can't be a hand model now :9

Yea, I'm thinking introductions would go alright. I'll look up some videos about intros with his kind of behaviour. I had thought I needed him to trust me first but it might work best in his case to interact with well handled friends first. Thanks, guys!
SQ Likes This 
Old 11-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
Sheldon
Rataholic

Liked 568 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Really love that song...

Bonus pets (fishes )
RIP Gollum, Carnival