The Rat Shack > Rattie 911 > Behaviour > Afraid to put hand near biting rat?

Help Support Ratshack Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
Imjessiegee

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorats View Post
That's great!

It is, only he wonít let me touch him when heís near me. He has only been out the cage twice and they were disasters in about the 5 weeks since Iíve had them.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #12
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1556 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imjessiegee View Post
It is, only he wonít let me touch him when heís near me. He has only been out the cage twice and they were disasters in about the 5 weeks since Iíve had them.
Oh I see. So out of the cage he bites. Seems to me that perhaps he's very scared when out of the cage. Where do you take him when out of the cage?

SQ Likes This 
Old 10-08-2017, 02:10 PM   #13
SQ
Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Liked 529 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 1337

Having access to his cage during play time out of the cage might help him be let him be less frightened
Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses

Old 10-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #14
Imjessiegee

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Iíve took him out twice, both times in a shoe box and he bites when being picked up. Iíve put his cage on the floor, with him inside and left the door open. He was fine coming up to the door and stuff but when he came out of the cage, he panicked and couldnít get back in (he couldnít see the way in because heís a PEW and his eyesights bad). He stayed under the drawers for a while and had to manoeuvred out as he wouldnít move.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:57 PM   #15
SQ

is there a house (for example a small cardboard box containing paper, with 2 or 3 entrances), tubes, toys etc in the play area?
Cindy Hannah Caleb Nettie Lois Andy Jordan Lyman Adam Noah Monroe Corrie Jonathan Ralphie Artie Burrell David Ruthie Debbie Marsha Noel Dandelion Toofer-Jane Gracie Charlotte Jacob Faith Leona-Francis Elizabeth Sammuel Mark Eli Robin Rebecca Mary-Lymanette Paul Peter Betsie Sandy Luke Hope Esther-May Joey Johnny Joy Leah Nicole Jessie Laurel Naomi Raine Rhubarb Buddy Maria Casper Sarah Lunar Jubilee Sunny Gus Isaac Daniel Rachael Aaron Zachary Jonah Eve Lydia Sol Petit Grisse Judy Molly Moses

Old 10-08-2017, 08:00 PM   #16
Imjessiegee

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I donít have a play area at the moment. Ash (the nice one) usually roams the house when the dogs are outside so he gets the entire place (kitchen, stairs and so on). There isnít anywhere he can get harmed like small open spaces in the wood work or anything so he free roams. Iíve tried the bath but Ace is scared of being in there so I may need to build a play area.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:36 AM   #17
SQ

Play areas are good because you can make sure there is nothing harmful to them, such as electrical cords, and nothing they can chew that you would be upset about.
And you can put houses, boxes, toys, tubes, fisher price and little tyke toys, your couch, their cage, litter box etc inside so they feel safe, can interact with you, and are in a rat safe area.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:14 AM   #18
jorats
Not So Much
RATS_ADMIN.png

Liked 1556 Times on 1238 Posts
Likes Given: 206

It does sound like he's overwhelmed with big open spaced. I would start small like maybe the bed or the bathroom. Let him get used to it and might take some time and just steer clear of his face so you don't get bit again. Have some yummy food for him when he comes out as a reward.

SQ Likes This