5 females + 4 males - Ontario

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krist

I took in 8 rats from my sister who due to medical problems was no longer able to care for them. 9 rats has proven to be too many for me to handle. I cannot get them out to play with them all because of my work schedule. I could handle a couple, but if I can find great homes for all of them I think it would be best for them. I really like them but they need more attention.

There are 5 females. They are 2-3 years old. None have ever bitten or showed any signs of aggression. Must go in pair/trio.

There are 4 males. One is 3 years old, one is 1 year old, and two are 6 months old. 6 month olds must go together. 1 year old and 3 year old are a complex pair and their needs need to be discussed.

I want them to go to forever homes. I live in near Barrie, ON. They are all healthy. No skin problems, no breathing problems, no lumps, no teeth problems, etc. Perfect health.

Last edited:
You should post some more info. What they're like, look like names and if they come with a cage. Also any health issues or tumors since they are older. That will help them find homes. :)

You should post some more info. What they're like, look like names and if they come with a cage. Also any health issues or tumors since they are older. That will help them find homes. :)

Ok, I'll do that. Right now they are living in a two story critter nation. It's a cage I had from previous pets. I don't know if I could include it or not, I'd have to think about it.

What a shame; is your sister no longer able to take at least some of them back? A rat rescue might be something you wish to consider, where the two older males must stay together, as well as the females going in a group of perhaps two, or three. At this point, it would be very stressful on the older ones especially to go anywhere alone. I hope you can get some takers.

What a shame; is your sister no longer able to take at least some of them back? A rat rescue might be something you wish to consider, where the two older males must stay together, as well as the females going in a group of perhaps two, or three. At this point, it would be very stressful on the older ones especially to go anywhere alone. I hope you can get some takers.

As it is right now, she cannot take them back. She was in an accident and is still in the hospital. She is under a lot of care and if she comes home it will not be for months. They were very well taken care of and loved, and I know she'd want them but we don't know if/when she could.

The girls didn't all live together until I took them home. Before they lived in a group of 2 and 3 but have been living together at my house with no problem. So they have to go together or the 3 together and the 2 together.

The two older boys could be separated, if the right home/situation comes up. They are both complex guys and I know she had a lot of trouble with them.

I would really like them to go to a forever home so they don't have to be bounced around. And so I know they are going to the right home.

Yes, I can understand your concerns. I'm just wondering if a foster family could care for them, or a rescue could temporarily take them in, until your sister is well enough to look after them again. I feel so badly for her, and for them, and for you. Are the two older boys living together?

Yes, I can understand your concerns. I'm just wondering if a foster family could care for them, or a rescue could temporarily take them in, until your sister is well enough to look after them again. I feel so badly for her, and for them, and for you. Are the two older boys living together?

My concern is if she isn't able to ever take them back, I don't want them to have to go from a foster home to another home. I really want them to be somewhere that they will stay.

Right now all of the boys are living together. The two older ones do get along but they do not do well with intro's to other rats. One is territorial and takes a long time to introduce (but then he's fine with them) and the other is extremely shy and needs a long time to feel comfortable with other rats. But they get along with each other.

I wish I could help but I don't have an empty cage. I can ask around for you though. Or try to get a cage. I'm an all female rescue so I would only be able to take females. The other problem for me would be her wanting the rats back. As soon as I bond with an animal I will never rehome it. So if that were to happen and she wanted them back that would be a problem with me. So they may be better in a long term foster home.

6 month old grey boy
6 month old PEW boy
12 month old BEW boy
3 year old blaze boy

3 year old brown girl
2 year old black/white girl
3 year old black girl

Two other girls not pictured, they were sleeping. Sorry for the dirty cage, I took the pictures right before starting to clean.

DSC_0651.jpg

DSC_0652.jpg

DSC_0657.jpg

DSC_0654.jpg

DSC_0558.jpg

DSC_0658.jpg

DSC_0659.jpg

Does anyone know if the SPCA's are good with rats? Do they put them down like dogs if they don't find a home in x amount of time? Screen for good homes?

I do know that SPCAs do not treat illness so when animals become ill they are killed
.... at least they are in the Maritimes

You could try to see if the Ottawa Rat Rescue would put them (or at least one sex) on a waiting list for when they have room

They are lovely. Anyone would be lucky to have them. Kudos to you for taking care of them for your sister. I know if I came out of hospital and my pets were gone I'd be devastated.

The boys are hard for me to handle. The two younger ones bite when my hand first goes in the cage and the 1 year old took a chunk out of the oldest one. Now the oldest one is living with the girls since he is neutered. They aren't mean - from what I've been told - just no manners. But it's hard for me to even feed them, let alone get them out.

Are there any rescues in Ontario that take rats? All I found was Ottawa which is full and too far away.

I'm a rescue in Ontario. I know a few great people that take in rats but I'm confused. Would you be surrendering them or would she most likely want them back? I don't have an available cage but I can ask around when I have more info.

I'm a rescue in Ontario. I know a few great people that take in rats but I'm confused. Would you be surrendering them or would she most likely want them back? I don't have an available cage but I can ask around when I have more info.

It's not when she comes home but if, and if she does she won't be able to look after them for quite a while. I am going to keep at least two, the oldest boy and oldest girl, because she was most bonded to them (hand raised). But I just can't handle all of them, and she won't be able to either.

So there is 3 boys and 4 girls. I'm more concerned with finding the boys new homes than the girls. One gender would be easier. I don't want to just throw them away though, they need to go somewhere good.

Although many SPCAs do take rats and small animals, and some are no kill (due to space), they are still safest with you until they find a good home that you are able to screen. There are no/very basic screening processes at the SPCA. I volunteer at one and have adopted a hamster from one. Basically you fill out this very basic questionnaire and pay them the money. There is also no guarantee that the rats will go together or even in pairs. I have seen families of guinea pigs split up because someone wanted just the one. SPCAs are good and provide a much needed service in the community but when it comes to cases like this, especially if you want them to be adopted out in pairs, it is far from ideal.

I can try and spread the word for you. Unfortunately, I too am full and the rescue in Guelph that my rescue is associated with is also full. There are a lot of rats looking for homes right now.

Do you have a means of transporting the rats (perhaps through a rat train, even truckers going from Ontario to Quebec) etc.? How is the health of the the 3 year old? Has he lived with other males?

Back