• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to The Rat Shack and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

The perfect bedding! dust-free cured Chopped straw. $10

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canarats

It came out a month ago in Ontario, being imported for the strict biosecurity at the Pan am games. Although deathly allergic to traditional straw, I now use it for my rats because it is cured, dust-extracted and mold / weed / allergen-free. I could not believe that in addition to the sweet smell, there was not a single sneeze despite their determination to frolic and burrow in it!

At $10 a 3-ft high bale, it is a steal. Let me know if anyone is interested in a shipment to the GTA, Barrie or Oshawa. I will also be gifting one to deserving rescue.

P1100632.jpg

P1100631.jpg

Last edited:
Its very soft, and deodorizing, as its basically dried oat (or in this case, wheat) grass. Difference between lawn grass (hay) and straw is that straw has a hollow center which makes it absorbent.

Not sure if I will continue to use it though, because I like my rats to smell like their lovely soft furry selves, and not like a meadow!

Another plus is that straw is very light, and so the poops sink to the bottom quick. You don't see a turd, even if you don't change the cage for 3 days.

Using this over a week now, and convinced this is the ultimate bedding we have been waiting for. Still no sneezing

Unlike aspen, my first bedding, there is no dust.
Unlike cloth, my 2nd bedding it buries the ammonia .
Unlike paper-based bedding (Yesterdays News, Carefresh) the straw DOES NOT disintegrate into dust. Unlike horses, rats are simply not heavy enuf to grind it down.

Of course, there is the visible benefit of having extra money for the rats' other needs, as the chop is dirt cheap. A bag will probably last a rat pair 6 months. if changed every other day.

Yellow is not really my favorite color. I wish they could bleach it.

Is there something comparable to this in the U.S.? Thinking about switching from fleece as we currently do not have a washer/dryer and I don't want to bring gross rat fleece to the laundry mat... Was considering carefresh or exquisicat but I like this idea

It's a new innovation that will probably catch on soon, esp in horse country. Best bet is google chopped straw bedding or to ask around a showgrounds. My boys HATE it, ca you tell?
jk, I'm completely sold, no sneezing, smell, and is so cushiony that the rats can sleep on their backs, even in a nasty travel-cage. Cons - stains my boy's curly white fur after a while. So yeah, I would switch if I someday find a non-staining of similar quality.

P1100800.jpg

SQ, it is cured straw (bagged) -- no buggies at all. Unless you count my horse "Buggs," that is :) .

*note: because I said it looks clean for 3 days, was just an experiment. I am a religiously change-every-day person. Thats why I switched -- cause its affordable. I hate myco (if myco were a person, I'd go to jail for shooting it!)

I have half a bale to give away. I am currently staying in Toronto, in North Etobicoke.

Back