My Little Matilda: It's PT NEW UPDATE pg. 8

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi jorats,
I don't think she's in pain, though it is hard to tell. She's just very slow, I haven't seen her eat or be interested in her favorite soft foods, just wants to lay up in the hammock with her friends. This morning her bottom was yellowed with wee so I see she hasn't been cleaning herself. If I take her out, she walks around, doesn't just want to lay still and be petted- she never did like that.

Anyways, I am so so proud of my girl, and if this is the end, it's a battle completely won. We kicked PT in it's horrible ass; my baby didn't even have to go on soft foods until about two weeks ago.

I have to go to work at 1:30pm today, and same time tomorrow. I have an appointment at the vet's tomorrow morning, though I don't know what they can tell me. I biggest worry is that her breathing is a clicky/rough now. Not wheezing, but obviously congested. I don't want her to go into respiratory distress and pass that way...

I'm sorry it seems to be coming to an end, but she had a wonderful run with PT and that is a great accomplishment. Curley we had pts since it was our fist rat death and it just seemed like the thing to do and well you know what happened with Kona.

Yes, it sounds like you two won this battle even though she is getting ready for her crossing.
I have had a few rats that I have euthanized because they have stopped eating altogether. I don't want to wait for them to starve to death so I bring them in after a couple of days because they always seem too healthy to die quickly, if you know what I mean. It's the waiting that kills me...

That was my fear too, Joanne, but I guess she's back to "normal"....

Eating normally today, and coming out lots and not just sleeping. Really active in the car and at the vet's. :)

Don't scare me like that, Matilda.... :sad-p:

Hi everybody. Matilda-baby passed away two days ago. I will put up a memorial page, but, I need some time first.

There has been a lot of talk lately, about whether putting our rats through PT treatment is worth it, or if it just makes them suffer as we prolong their lives slightly. My Matilda lived almost a year with PT. She never suffered. The days when she had problems eating solid food or walking were recently, and they were few. She was a happy, able rat to the end-- in fact, I believe that she died of old age and not PT. Her last day, I came home from school at 3pm and she came out to greet me. We played for a little bit, she was moving and walking perfectly fine. Around 5pm I gave them veggies to eat, and she happily came out and ate a bunch, licking it up with a big appetite. About 20 minutes later I found her on the shelf of the CN, and both of her cagemates were cuddling her. I was cleaning the cage, and when I went to move her, I found that she had passed. There was nothing painful about her death, I was 3 feet away on my bed the whole time and I didn't even notice that anything was wrong. She just lived a normal day, eating and drinking and playing normally, before laying down to sleep with her friends wrapped around her.

Oh my gosh, a whole year! That is awesome. It is all about quality of life, and it sounds like she had a great life. She is the poster rat for the Pro-treatment side of PT. And how nice to have a regular day and just snuggle up and head for the Bridge with no muss, no fuss. I'm so glad for you she had such a peaceful passing. Rest easy sweet Matilda. :heart:

Joanne it was about 9 months, so short of a whole year. She died a month after her 3rd birthday. I'm very glad for how she died and how long she was able to live happily.... >.<

Wow, you did a great job getting her through PT. Sorry she left you and your quite possibly right that it was just her time. She certainly gives the rest of that have had PT rats and the unfortunate ones that will have to experience it hope that we too will some day be able to get our ratties through it like you did with Matilda. A peaceful passing at home is what we all hope for.

:rose2: RIP brave girl, an inspiration to us all!

Thank you so much guys! It is so comforting to hear you say that, and to have a place to come and talk about these things.

Best of all, before Matilda, my vet was reluctant to treat PT with bromo/cab. She thought it was too expensive, especially if you had the cab prepared at a compound shop. We were both amazed that the bromo helped so much, she admitted that it is most likely that which is keeping her so happy for so long. I'm sure she will recommend this treatment for other ratties in the future. <3

So sorry about Matilda. I agree with all the others here -- she had a long loving life with you and it ended peacefully, which is the best outcome possible w/ PT.

i know she will be missed.

Back