Peanut's eye thread - Possibly NOT the end!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to add, human kisses rat. :shock:

What??? Yuck!!! but we always kiss stinky rats.... and they do leave their bodily functions on us and Clark slips tongue - he's a sneaky dude! I forgot to add the purplish coloring only started yesterday when the eye area appeared to sink in..

Quick update, Peanut had his stitches out, but it opened in one spot. We were suppose to put the collar back on his since he was scratching at it ,but we didn't he has left it alone. He does however have diarrhea and he's started that at the vet on Tuesday. There are solid poops too in his pen, but the diarrhea is still there too and quite nasty... He needs to stop soon or we have to bring him back in. Come Peanut - give us a break!

Quick update, Peanut had his stitches out, but it opened in one spot. We were suppose to put the collar back on his since he was scratching at it ,but we didn't he has left it alone. He does however have diarrhea and he's started that at the vet on Tuesday. There are solid poops too in his pen, but the diarrhea is still there too and quite nasty... He needs to stop soon or we have to bring him back in. Come Peanut - give us a break!

Put him on probiotics (2 hours outside of abs) and also give him a day on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) as its easiest on the tum. Even if you can only get rice and toast into him it should help, the probiotics will help the good gut flora proliferate again and he should be fine)

Put him on probiotics (2 hours outside of abs) and also give him a day on the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) as its easiest on the tum. Even if you can only get rice and toast into him it should help, the probiotics will help the good gut flora proliferate again and he should be fine)

Something like activia yogurt? I will pick up some bananas - pretty sure I have the rest.

I've started with toast and bananas. Poor boy has been through so much! There are some solid poops in there too, but he still have the gooey green diarrhea - 3 days now

Aww, what a bummer for Peanut during an already trying time for him. This poor guy deserves a break like nobody's business! :cry5: Keep your chin up Peanut, we are rooting for you! Hopefully the BRAT diet will help his tum. All my love to him, as usual, and keep us posted. Love you Peanut! :kisskiss:

Seems we had no diarrhea over night, soft poop but its formed! Tried putting him with his cage mates last night since the eye is closed, but him and Axe were disagreeing over who was now alpha and I didn't see that going well. Throttle however, submitted to being flipped. So he spend that night back in his pen.

Last edited:
I hope he doesn't have too much of a hard time with his cage mates when he rejoins them.
Eye still looking good?

Yes, I took some pictures last night will try and post later today. I have taken to just snapping random pictures whenever. I had not having a lot of pictures of my other boys. It seems I was always going to take them and then they were gone... Anyway, I think he would of done alright in the cage and they would of worked it out, but I was afraid of them opening up the eye again so I took him out as a precaution. They have been out together on "play dates" through out this so its not like they haven't had any contact at all for the past month. The eye closed up with 24 hours and is still looking good. Going to put them together again after a good cage cleaning.

Aww, great update! Sounds like Peanut is on the mend! So happy for our little guy! (well...big guy, but you know what I mean!) ;)

I forgot to post his picture. This is from a couple days ago after it closed up again. I thought daddy took one after the vet removed the stitches and it was open once again, but he didn't... Excuse his mess, he is be destructive!

IMG_8104_zpsd34d89f1.jpg

Awww, he looks beautiful! His eye looks so much better! (or I guess I should say, the spot where his eye used to be).

Love the photo! And his green cushy igloo looks sooo comfy...he must love that!

Back