Anyone else struggle with mental health/addiction?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed it does! I do have to account that as a kid it was nice to get home and not have the judgements that kids these days do with all the technology. But it also leaves a new world open to making friends that have common issues.

Yeah, I see your point. I guess there has been so much negative publicity with kids (and adults) being bullied and committing suicide, that it has coloured my view...

I think the benefits of online support are good on many areas. Personally I get more support and feel more comfortable on psych forum interacting with ppl. It isn't as stressful as a group setting or talking in person to friend, family it therapist. You don't deal with the anxiety of it all or worry what other ppl think since you can be pretty anonymous. I'm sure online support has benefited many ppl with a wide variety of issues.

This is kinda embarrassing honestly, but since I stopped using I don't hang out with people anymore. I know I said already, but I'm almost recovered from social anxiety too.
Forums are a good step for me to start meeting people in person again. And like Temblabamomo said, not much fear of bring judged. I can also talk about things I wouldn't tell my family.
Good deal overall :D

Congratulations on being clean. :) I have Borderline Personality Disorder, Dissociative Identity Disorder, and maybe PTSD, all from a traumatic childhood.

Sorry to hear about your childhood :( That was one thing I was fortunate with.
And DID as in multiple personalities? Isn't that super rare? From what I've seen, it looks so scary and people also think it's not a real condition.
I would get something way minor, derealization, and that was horrible enough!!!

And sad to say everyone, I relapsed on pills (just like my pdoc thought I would....) just before my 6 months. Recovery wasn't my priority anymore. Lesson learned though.

Sorry to hear about your childhood :( That was one thing I was fortunate with.
And DID as in multiple personalities? Isn't that super rare? From what I've seen, it looks so scary and people also think it's not a real condition.
I would get something way minor, derealization, and that was horrible enough!!!

And sad to say everyone, I relapsed on pills (just like my pdoc thought I would....) just before my 6 months. Recovery wasn't my priority anymore. Lesson learned though.
Thank you, I'm just grateful it wasn't worse. And DID isn't as rare as it's made out to be, and it also exists on a spectrum. Fortunately, I'm not on the extreme end of the spectrum, and Im getting tratment, so I can now function enough to hold a job and own a car. As for relapsing, I feel people like pdocs can hold people to too high of standards. I feel as though even things that seem like mistakes to others should be seen with more compassion, because people do what they can in a given situation. I can't relate with drug use, but I've self injured and relapsed with it before, and I know how defeating it can be. But I think people shouldn't beat themselves up for something that ultimately has a reason behind it.

Oh okay, didn't know that. Ya all I've seen are people with an extreme disorder on TV and youtube so guess I was a little biased.
And I totally agree. It was a learning lesson for me. I put my recovery behind work, court stuff, and my ratties. It always has to come first or I just can't do the other things eventually.
I used to self harm too, and it's very similar to substance addiction to me. Even the "rush." You want to stop but can't, feel guilty, etc...
Glad you're currently doing good :)

Thanks, and yeah, drama makes for good tv. :p And I think it's so impressive that you've learned that, many people never do. You really should be proud. :)

I used to self harm too, and it's very similar to substance addiction to me. Even the "rush." You want to stop but can't, feel guilty, etc...

^very true. And sadly, there seems to be less understanding and support for SI, so it's harder to find the resources to help yourself quit than it is finding resources for help w alcohol/drug addiction. I've had ppl scoff and roll their eyes and tell me what I do is silly and I should quit, but I struggle more with it than anything else.

^very true. And sadly, there seems to be less understanding and support for SI, so it's harder to find the resources to help yourself quit than it is finding resources for help w alcohol/drug addiction. I've had ppl scoff and roll their eyes and tell me what I do is silly and I should quit, but I struggle more with it than anything else.
It tends to be seen as something done by spoiled brat kids, I think.

True, perhaps. It's hard to get a better understanding or stats on it when so many ppl who do it are ashamed and hide it. When you have therapists and pdocs who don't see it as an addiction, you're even less likely to discuss it w them or ask them for help.

Thought I would add on to this cuz it is nice to relate.
I have clinical depression and anxiety. And was just recently diagnosed with ADHD. Before being medicated for my depression I had suicidal and self-harm tendencies... Had a bit of a mess up last fall when I decided I didn't need my medications. I was okay until the semester started and then the added stress sent my on a downhill spiral. Relapsed with cutting. Consistently thought about suicide. And occasionally turned to alcohol to drown out the pain. If it weren't for my amazing girlfriend, I don't think I would've made it out. Eventually I got up the courage to reach out to my College Dorm RA and she got me the help I needed and then I got back to seeing a counselor and a new psychiatrist and got back on my meds. So my sophomore year of college was kind of a bust. Going back to my freshmen year I got into a really unhealthy relationship. Girlfriend at the time was a huge distraction away from my school work and had a tendency to hit me... I never understood why people in abusive relationships stayed... In my case it was because I generally felt like I deserved to be punished when I screwed up. Even after getting out of that relationship I still feel like I need to be punished. My current girlfriend is really good for me. When I feel like beating the crap outta a wall just to hurt my hands. Or I have urges to cut again i remember that I promised her not to hurt myself. I still occasionally drink to try and forget my problems... But more often then not I drink just for fun. And because I'm 20 and not yet old enough to buy alcohol in the US I generally don't have access to it...

I'm very lucky to have my girlfriend who, like me has also struggled with suicide and self harm. And not like me she has struggled with drug abuse. Luckily she never got addicted... And since she's started dating me she's been clean and doesn't want to go back.

In November I will be a year clean from cutting. And I have every intention of finally making it a year. Haven't gotten to that point since I started in 2011 (shortly before coming out to my best friends and losing them all)....

My girl has been a year clean from drugs. And I'm so proud of her.
I'm also so proud of any of you all who have struggled with mental diseases and addictions and are still here fighting. I know it's a long tough battle. But I know you can do it! You can beat it! And I am here for you! Do it for your rattie babies!!

I think it's awesome that people feel comfortable enough on the Shack to talk about themselves and the issues they deal with on a daily basis. There will be no judgement cast for being gay, or depressed, or wanting to self-harm. But if you dis our rats, get the h*ll out! :D

I think it's awesome that people feel comfortable enough on the Shack to talk about themselves and the issues they deal with on a daily basis. There will be no judgement cast for being gay, or depressed, or wanting to self-harm. But if you dis our rats, get the h*ll out! :D

^ So very true!
And really, where else could you possibly go for support for a rat huffing addiction?? ;)

Very well said, Joanne! :D

Haha I'm totally addicted to rat huffing lol that hunky man rat smell! Mmm haha
That smell snuggled into my neck gets me through some of my hardest days! Its like they can smell in me when I'm down they jump outta the cage!

Back