Today was cleaning day and a small bath. He was stinky.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

primobellator

I've noticed his coat seems thicker. Not sure if it's winter. He's 3 months old and I've noticed his fur is yellowish. Looks white but then a bit vanilla yellow looking closer. Is it buck grease? He constantly grooms and doesn't marinate in his waste. Still very white. Not rusting. He's smoother than in the pick. Still shaggy from his bath. View attachment 5191

Does he have buddies? Sometimes buddies like to pee on each other. But yes, it could be sebum/buck grease. As rats age they tend to groom less. Also, if he's younger, this could be an indication that he's not feeling too well.

Does he have buddies? Sometimes buddies like to pee on each other. But yes, it could be sebum/buck grease. As rats age they tend to groom less. Also, if he's younger, this could be an indication that he's not feeling too well.
He's well. No pain. Always playing and running around. He cleans nearly all the time. Might just he lighting or a bit of grease. Because otherwise he's fine.

Not yet :( this next month well be getting him a buddy. Arthur. Merlin and Arthur. Or Lancelot. By the way his coat is fine. Turns out he just too late to get up and pee that day. He did that yesterday. All yellow and wet. Now he's better. I was nervous for nothing.

Oh good, I'm glad his coat is better.
I have one question my friend. Sometimes Merlin will just sit there. Relaxing staring at nothing much like a cat. Hell do it after eating to relax. But is it normal. His whiskers are slow or not exploring. He responds just fine to treats or when I go by the cage. Hell do it after running around. So I think he's just relaxing. Still responsive. And seems content. But he stares until you walk by the cage. Is he resting? Just like cats do after eating and playing. But not yet going to sleep?

You are right. I never thought of it that way. That's probably what makes them so perfect. hehe
Do they shed a bit going into 4 months and during winter? He seems healthy and happy. He has healthy colored paws and skin. Just checking to see if the shedding is normal. It's also winter now and cold during early mornings and nights. He has cloth and bedding. Never shivering. Heat is on at times but I regulate so it isn't over 80 or under 50 or 60. Wonder if he's growing "winter coat" or adult coat as the black spots on his back is growing white over it a bit.

img-0001.jpg

img-0689.jpg

He might be going through a moult at that age.
Seems he's maturing. He's started to chew more. His toys he'll chew but not much. He's got into the leather couch. Thank goodness I caught him. I have chew treats but too soft for a rat. And he likes chewing rubber on the remote more than the toys. What would be best for his teeth to grind down without hurting him? Would small dog toys and bones work? Or deer antlers? If so I will buy some. We're waiting on our store to bring us more fancy rats for a buddy for him. I may have to go to another city or find a breeder.

dec232013-91.jpg

I too have used Snak Shaks for many years and to my knowledge I have not have had any issues - although now I am wondering whether they contributed to my sweet little BB's death last fall as he had an intestinal blockage that killed him (he was under medical care and receiving treatment ....... I did not have a necropsy done)

Rats chew all sorts of things and do not swallow unless they think they are chewing food.
Unfortunately the Snak Shaks contain honey ........ people have been reporting that because of the honey, rats think it is food and they are swallowing the sawdust etc when they chew the Snak Shaks. It is claimed that this has resulted in stomach problems and people report that their rats have died from internal blockages, caused by the sawdust etc that the Snak Shaks are made of. On many sites people are warned not to use these with their rats.

As previously mentioned, I have used them for over 13 years without a problem, but I will no longer be doing so as I have decided that it is too much of a risk ..... my rats are now getting hardwood branches (I bought some birch in December) and boxes .... they live to chew boxes LOL

iphoneimport-033.jpg

Back