Mite treatment and housing

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myratsaremaddogs

My rats are very special to me, I love them like they are my children. So when I see them sick or fighting I get frustrated because I don’t understand what is happening. I have two male rats, Einstien is a patchwork rat so no hair. Leonardo is a plain male rat. Both of them have lovely natures but they can’t seem to get along they will be all over eachother for a bit then next thing you know they are biting and scretching at eachother I can’t sep them because I don’t have anywhere for the other to go. Another problem is I’ve had them for almost a year I got them both when they were young so they have almost grown up together but there is a massive size difference Leo being bigger therefore more dominant but I think he doesn’t understand that he can’t groom Einstein like a normal rat because he nips at him.

They both have Scabs on their tails and ears so I want to know how to fix that. Einstein doesn&#8217;t breath to well either I don&#8217;t think it&#8217;s like he has a clogged nose. Leo has a cyct and I drain it quite often but always comes back. I understand that I should take them to the vet but because I don&#8217;t have a job and I&#8217;m busy with school I can&#8217;t. Mum said they are my pets so I must care for them. Please help <3

They may have mites, and if so, then they need to be treated with revolution from the vet and have all their bedding washed etc

Einstein needs to see a good vet knowledgeable in treating rats, immediately!! as it sounds like he needs to be put on antibiotics (orally, twice a day) for 6 weeks (if they are helping, if they are not helping he needs different antibiotics from the vet). - He likely needs baytril or baytril + doxy, or baytril + azithromycin (10 mg/Ib)
There is no alternative to seeing a vet and getting the medication he needs.
So you will need to tell your parents that the medical care will be your early Christmas present, borrow money, sell some of your belongings or try to find a good rat rescue that will take him in and provide him with the medical care he needs.
Otherwise, if Einstein has a resp. infection or is having a myco flareup, he will get worse and die gasping for breath.

If after treating for mites, you believe that they are fighting and not playing, then the more aggressive boy may also need to be neutered by a good vet, knowledgeable and experienced in neutering rats http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7691
Patchwork rats are more easily hurt when playing since they don't have hair to protect their skin.

I would suggest that you do not drain the cyst as it may become infected.
Please post a picture so people can make suggestions.

It really bothers me when you say that you can not provide vet care. Rats are prey animals and hide illness so by the time you realise your pet is ill, you are well into a medical emergency - like all pets, rats do become ill and if they are ill and do not see a good knowledgeable rat vet immediately they will die horribly unless humanely put to sleep by a vet who knows how to do it properly (most vets do not so it is their owner that must be very assertive and make sure it is done right) http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7652

You need to get a part time job asap, ask for money for Christmas and birthdays and set up a bank account for your pets medical needs. It is important to have at least $300 for the first rat and at least $200 for each additional rat in the bank account and to keep adding money to it.
Also, if you are a young person living at home, then your parents need to help you provide good care to your pets because all pets in their home are also their responsibility.

Please post pictures of your sweet boys.
What type of cage do you have?
Can you post a pic of it?
You can also try posting on Real Rat Lovers Want To Know on facebook

Last edited:
Back