Rat spay surgery aftercare

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlize

Hello,

My baby girls are being spayed tomorrow am and I just thought I would check to see what others do for aftercare.

I've been informed by the vet that they should be kept in separate cages. I've got two flat cages (removed the levels from one) that I'll line with white paper towel so I can see if they bleed etc. I'm not sure how long they should be separated - apparently it takes 10-14 days for them to heal post-surgery.

Is there anything else that I should be considering post surgery?

Thanks!

Here is some info on tings to discuss before surgery http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7691

They do not need to be kept in separate cages.
They can both be together and once they are over the anesthetic, they can go back in with their cage mates.

Rats can't regulate their body temp for 24 hrs after surgery - I have found that just keeping them in a warm room with warm bedding such as fleece to borrow into, is sufficient. If you use an additional source of heat, make sure that rats can move far away from it, know that they will chew it, and make sure it is well wrapped. Never use an additional source of heat with a rat that is unconscious or can not get away from it

Ask the vet if they were given an injection of pain meds, when, and how long it will last. Usually it will last 24 hrs.
Make sure you get metacam from the vet to give them for pain, once the meds given by the vet wear off. Pain control is important and the amount is based on their body weight.

Rats will leave their incisions alone if their pain is controlled.

Here is some info on spays and care suggestions for after surgery http://ratguide.com/health/reproductive/spay.php

I hope the girls do well tomorrow

Thanks!

The girls have made it home - they are still quite groggy. Requested some metacam to take home.

They are already licking at their incision site. Poor things.

The vet told me that their post-op pain shot was good until morning. So, metacam could be given tomorrow AM. I'm not sure what else to do for their pain in the meanwhile :(

I'm not sure which metacam I have as it's in a plain bottle - label doesn't indicate which type.

Poor things. I think the pain has lessened now. They are both around 280-300 grams.

Back