Dying of Dehydration???

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notahugefan

Hi so I don't have any pet rats but my roommate does and he doesn't take the best care of them to say the least. I noticed 3 days ago that their water bottle was empty and I didn't refill it because i assumed he would. Today I poked my head into his room and say the rats still didnt have any water and one was just lying down starring off into the distance.
They still have food left (it hasn't been changed in as long as the water) so I'm guessing they've stopped eating.
My question is what do I do? I don't particularly like rats but I don't want them to be in pain or be suffering. I've read that giving them water now could cause overhydration and kill them. Is it too late? I can't take them to a vet and my roommate isn't going to do anything about it. How do I help them?

OMG. Please give them water. This is cruelty. Please make sure these rats are fed and have plenty of water and urge your roommate to re-home them.

Yes, give them water immediately.
In addition, they could also be given food with a fluid content such as their blocks soaked in cool water to make mush, cooked quinoa or cooked oatmeal, water melon etc.

There is a recipe for rehydration fluid here http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8730
you can also give some Pedilite from a drug store
They may need sub-Q fluids .... this is extreme animal cruelty :(

There may be a good rat rescue that will take them in, if not perhaps knowledgeable rat owners. Where are you located?

Last edited:
Back