Is there really anything effective against bumblefoot?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acetrainer

I have one female who has a case of bumblefoot and I really have no idea what to do with her or for her :(
The foot keeps getting worse and the more I try and help her the angrier she gets with me and the worse it gets because she will pick at it after. I've been trying to clean it with dilute antibacterial soap and apply BluKote but it isn't helping at all. She mostly just scrunches up and flails and screams and then picks at it right after- I've tried distracting her with treats but she's too upset and distressed after me touching her that she won't eat it.
She is a bit of a chunky girl, but is super sedentary and always has been and she doesn't like doing much (she lives in a double critter nation with 2 other rats and runs in the wheel sometimes and hides in a corner when I take her out IF she will even let me take her out). She lives on paper bedding (which she LOVES to pee on and then rip up and then sit in the mess of paper and pee, which is partially how she got the sore in the first place. Yes I have tried flannel and fabric bedding, they rip it up. The paper gets changed every 5 days. Yes they do have other chew toys. Yes they have fleece hammocks to sleep in) and eats mainly rat food and fresh fruit and veg and occationally cheerios and nuts.
Trying to treat her foot is just making her distrust me more and more and any treatments thus far haven't been effective. It isn't infected but she's really uncomfortable.

Any advice?

Vet visit with a good knowledgeable vet to get her on the right antibiotics if they are needed.

If your cage floors are not all solid, then use chloroplast to make them solid.

Pad all floors, for example: use thick fleece with fabric underneath to cover the floors.

Keep the cage extremely clean, clean surfaces etc she walks on daily or more often.

A good healthy diet so she is/stays in good health and has a good immune system. A good healthy diet may also help her to lose weight if she is over weight or at least not gain more weight. Since she is overweight and not very active you might want to reduce the amount of food .....
What type of block is she getting? (Harlan Teklad 2014? Oxbow? something else?)
Jorats (member of this forum) started handing her rats a Harlan 2014 block 1 each in the morning and 1 each in the evening and gave lots of vegs and it helped to keep weight at a healthy level ..... she gave more oxbow blocks then the Harlan when feeding oxbow as they are smaller. You might want to try giving fewer blocks, more of a variety of vegs, and little or no fruit. Please ask Jorats for suggestions as she is very experienced re diet etc

It may never disappear but with good care and antibiotics you should be able to keep it reasonably ok, closed over and not interfering with her quality of life.

Please read this: http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/ulcerative_pododermatitis.php

good luck

Here are some threads, you can search bumblefoot in the search box
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34098&highlight=bumblefoot
http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24457&highlight=bumblefoot

Last edited:
What our vet recommended for us is padding down the cage. We had to make sure there were no hard surfaces and sure enough after a few months our rats with bumblefoot got better. But if you an slim her down, that can help as well. I also recommend seeing a vet in case it's actually infected which it sounds like it is with how much pain she seems to be in. Get her on good abs and cover all hard surfaces.

She has a vet apt on Wens and i do have some fleece pads
I think i'll section off the cage and do half fleece and half paper and keep my overtly destructive girl away from the fleece half

Back