Rat Safe Paint?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faint

Noah
Hi my best friend and I are getting our first rats, and are going to make a cage with c&c grids covered in hardware mesh since I got a sweet deal for over 40 of them for 15$. However, the coated hardware mesh seems very hard to find and very expensive in Canada for some reason, so I'm looking at buying galvanized and just painting it since you can get big rolls of it for not that much. I've searched on here and on another rat forum for a rat safe paint to paint with, and I've seen Rustoleum suggested with a 4 week cure time. But which Rustoleum??? There's so many kinds, and would spray paint vs roller be the nicest look on the wire?

Thank you, it looks like we may be scoring a used DFN tomorrow but my question of paint still stands :( or a place in Ontario that you can buy the coated stuff for not an arm and a leg?

I believe any paint that is safe in baby rooms would work but you need to "cure" it for a couple of weeks so leaving it out in the sun should do it.

It should say on the can but I'm not sure. I've never painted a cage.
As for galvanized, if your rats don't chew the bars, it's safe to use. Wash it down regularly. Urine on galvanized steel is pretty gross. :)

Back