Questions about the Petco Rat Manor

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rotbotics

Yesterday I went and bought the Petco Rat Manor, and have 2 questions.

1) It's dimensions are 16.5" L X 22.5" W X 32" H

Is this cage big enough to comfortably fit 3 female rats? I currently have 2 but am looking to add another rattie to the family.

2) One website said to put fleece over the wire platforms to prevent bumblefoot, but also read that you shouldn't do that.

So... which is it? Do I cover the platforms or not?

no, it isn't in my opinion
The base is way too small to house any rats except on a temporary basis
(the cage is also poorly designed, for example the doors are way too small)
I would suggest that you return the cage immediately and get your money back

According to the cage calculator, it has enough space to hold 3 rats if all the space is used wisely,
but it really doesn't have enough horizontal space to house any rats

A rat cage needs a base that is at least 30 inches by 18 inches, and height with levels

Wire floors do need to be covered but just fleece really isn't good because it isn't thick enough
Dollar store dish drain trays cut to fit and attached with cable/zip ties work well to cover small wire floors
Thick pieces of linoleum cut to fit are good for covering large wire floors imo

A critter nation cage (also sold under a different name at pet smart), the powder coated R695 with flip top lid from martinscages.com, and a 40 inch long rabbit cage with 2 added homemade levels (only good for larger rats because of the large bar spacing) are all good cages for rats

hope this info helps
good luck

Last edited:
Back