Need Help(Rat Food)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrilmarie1111

I looked but couldn't find anything that I was looking for.
I am getting a couple rats soon and I am trying to find the best homemade rat food.
I have looked up tons of different ones but all of them I have no clue what the ingredients are or where to buy them.
I have been looking into the suebee's rat diet and I like it a lot but I have been reading from people that I need to add either lab block or dog food. Which I really don't care for the dog food but will consider to use it if its the best.
So what I am looking for is the best homemade rat food! So anyone that has any recipes from online or their own creation can you please put the link or what you use thanks!

Dog food is for dogs. Oxbow Essentials for rats are the very best for rats and you can supplement with whole grains, whole foods like veggies. Legumes are good too but in moderation. With rats you need to keep it low fat, low protein, no salt, no sugar.

The recommended diet for rats is:

80% of the diet is a good quality block available at all times. The recommended blocks are Oxbow Garden Select (a new block that imo looks like it may be the best), Harlan Teklad 2014, and Oxbow Essentials. If you can not get any of these, Living World hamster blocks are ok.
Rats need low protein (less then 14% of diet) so a block with 16%, 14% or lower level of protein. (Blocks are designed to meet all the nutritional needs of rats but it is best to fed them other things as well.)

20% of the diet is daily vegs, such as broccoli, baby kale, greens, cooked sweet potato, raw or cooked carrots, peas, cooked squash, cooked pumpkin, raw or cooked cauliflower (it is good cooked and mashed with cooked sweet potato), a piece of cucumber, organic fresh or frozen/thawed corn, a small amount of cooked beans or cooked chick peas (not too many because of protein but they make a good treat), etc

and healthy (whole food) treats such as a piece of fruit, berries, organic pumpkin seeds, (baked) squash seeds, cooked (by you on the stove) whole grains such as quinoa, oatmeal, groats, organic 12 grain 'cereal' (which contain no added sugar, no other added ingredients), a few cooked beans or a few cooked chick peas, etc
edit: and organic kamut puffs = has only 1 ingredient (no added sugar, etc)

Remember whole foods - and low fat, low protein and foods with no added salt, no added sugar, no added fats, no artificial sweetner, no fructose corn syrup or "natural sweetners" (one of the new names for fructose corn syrup). And no GMOs whenever possible because they cause inflammation which causes disease.
Also GMO corn is designed to kill rats, so only feed fresh or frozen organic (or nonGMO) corn.
Feed a variety of healthy unprocessed foods (whole foods).
My rats love eating my homemade veg and bean soup (no added salt etc)

Water - rats need water that does not contain chloride and does not contain fluoride. Water filters, such as beta filter, can remove chlorine. Fluoride is very dangerous and if it is in your water it can only be removed by distilling.
Rats need at least 2 sources of water, changed twice a day. At least one source needs to be a water dish that can not be upset. Baby rats may look like they are drinking but they can not get water out of water bottles because their tongues are not strong enough to more the ball bearing.

There is a forbidden foods list. http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590
- Many people are trying to find a healthy whole food diet that will meet all a rats nutritional needs but so far, to my knowledge, no one has managed this.
- I have heard good things about Debbie Ducommun's diet but I believe that Jorats has a few concerns about it
- Suebee's rat diet is not a healthy diet for rats and dog food etc is unhealthy for rats.
- Some people feed a small amount of blocks twice a day and a large variety of whole foods - vegs and some grains daily and a small amount of fruit and seeds
- You might want to check out the posts in the reference section of this forum

Congrats on the new rats

Last edited:
Thank You! Ill definitely read that over.
So do you think it would be a bad mix to do the suebees diet/oxbow combined daily? Should I just stick with the oxbow and fresh fruit and veggies and some other treats?

Thank You! Ill definitely read that over.
So do you think it would be a bad mix to do the suebees diet/oxbow combined daily? Should I just stick with the oxbow and fresh fruit and veggies and some other treats?

Suebees is not good for rats.

Stick with a good rat block, a variety of daily vegs and healthy whole food treats

My rats are fed blocks and get a variety of vegs (fresh or frozen thawed) and healthy treats at least twice a day. I stock up on things like blueberries in the summer when they are in season and freeze them so the rats can eat them all year

Last edited:
Suebees has extra junk and I would never feed that to my rats. Keep your supplementation whole foods. I try to feed my guys 1 ingredient foods. lol So whole foods. Whole grains are good too, legumes and veggies.

Back