The Quick Question Thread

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, most breeders are not ethical. It's very hard to find the good ones, if any exists at all. Because when you think about it, it's really not ethical to breed at all when there are so many rats needing homes.

You can get those baby links anywhere. The metal ones are cheaper since they come 12 to a package. We get ours at home depot.

The lump could be anything, a cyst, an abscess, a tumour. But for now, I would treat it as an abscess. Baytril can last quite a while if mixed by a pharmacy. If it's mixed at home, I don't know how long it lasts.

What does a hard, moveable lump indicate? It is behind her ear on her neck.
Also, how long is Baytril good for in the fridge? Thanks!

The lump could be anything, a cyst, an abscess, a tumour. But for now, I would treat it as an abscess. Baytril can last quite a while if mixed by a pharmacy. If it's mixed at home, I don't know how long it lasts.

Thank you, I will. The Baytril was mixed by my vet. It is at least 4 months old

Thank you, I will. The Baytril was mixed by my vet. It is at least 4 months old

Here is a picture:
Def. under the skin

mimi.jpg

Here's my question: I have two young Siamese rats, they're about 3 months old. Right now they're both beige all over. I'm just wondering how many months it takes for them to develop their Siamese "points" and colour?

Here's my question: I have two young Siamese rats, they're about 3 months old. Right now they're both beige all over. I'm just wondering how many months it takes for them to develop their Siamese "points" and colour?

The ones I've had, became siamese by 6 weeks old. But I'm not sure what's the normal time frame.

I have a litter of Siamese due this week. I can tell you when they get their markings. If that may help!? There is also likely some smeezes in the 3 day old litter.

I found this, and also several places that said between 6 and 8 weeks, when they have their first moult....??
http://www.afrma.org/siameserat.htm

I found this, and also several places that said between 6 and 8 weeks, when they have their first moult....??
http://www.afrma.org/siameserat.htm

Thanks! I saw that page but wasn't sure how old they are when they have their first moult. My guys are still beige, but they have some silvery hairs on their backs, and the beige colour is darker in some areas, lighter in other spots. They have a slightly darker beige blaze down their faces. They also have white paws and white markings on their bellies, and one has a white tail tip. So I'm wondering if they're not 100% Siamese and this is the reason their "points" aren't showing up?

Anyway, I love them no matter what colour they are. I was just excited to have Siamese rats because I've had Siamese cats all my life, and right now I even have a "Siamese" pointed Sphynx.

So stupid question likely. We're 'missing' a baby rat from my 3 day old litter. They (all 7) were all fine this morning and now there are 6. Did Momma eat it likely? Aggie never ate her deceased baby but she also trusted me a lot more then this Momma.

So stupid question likely. We're 'missing' a baby rat from my 3 day old litter. They (all 7) were all fine this morning and now there are 6. Did Momma eat it likely? Aggie never ate her deceased baby but she also trusted me a lot more then this Momma.

Most likely scenario, baby died and mama cleaned it up.

Thanks! I saw that page but wasn't sure how old they are when they have their first moult. My guys are still beige, but they have some silvery hairs on their backs, and the beige colour is darker in some areas, lighter in other spots. They have a slightly darker beige blaze down their faces. They also have white paws and white markings on their bellies, and one has a white tail tip. So I'm wondering if they're not 100% Siamese and this is the reason their "points" aren't showing up?

Anyway, I love them no matter what colour they are. I was just excited to have Siamese rats because I've had Siamese cats all my life, and right now I even have a "Siamese" pointed Sphynx.

Rats have fur with different markings, colors and texture, but there are no different breeds, Siamese is just a term to describe the markings and there are no "pure Siamese" rats. Genetics are complex and babies in the same litter will usually have a variety of markings and colours.

Your babies sound very beautiful and I am sure they are wonderful little ratties with great personalities

If you are certain that nothing else could have happened to the baby, then yes, that is likely what happened.
It is instinctual, and mothers will do that so that the dead body does not attract predators

Quick question....I have the runt Bumper from Mings litter. He physically seems behind. I will take and post a video asap tonight of how he walks. More like a 3 week old baby...not 6 weeks as he is.
He definitely has vision issues. He does the squint and head bobble.
Could it just be developmental because he was so runty?

Quick question....I have the runt Bumper from Mings litter. He physically seems behind. I will take and post a video asap tonight of how he walks. More like a 3 week old baby...not 6 weeks as he is.
He definitely has vision issues. He does the squint and head bobble.
Could it just be developmental because he was so runty?
That sounds worse than just being a runt. It sounds like failure to thrive perhaps. Hopefully he catches up.

Back