Home needed -- two females in Fredericton

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrendaLee

I'm in Fredericton and in need of a rescue home for two ratties -- a momma and one of her babies. The momma may or may not be pregnant, and I'm pretty sure she has ear infections because her balance is off, and her ears are tender when I press on them. I got them a couple of days ago from a neighbor, a very bad situation that I just couldn't leave them in, with a promise from a local rescuer to take them in, but she backed out on me, and now I need to find another option. I can't keep them, and I can't bring myself to send them back to where they came from. I was told the momma has had three or four litters and the baby I rescued is the only one to survive, the rest were eaten by the males in the cage and the cats in the house.

I already love them, so I need them to go to a good home, and I really want them to stay together. The thought of letting them go makes me sad, but I have three boys that are my world, and I never intended to have more than that. I really want to give them their full cage back, and the girls are kinda stressing them out. Not to mention, the girls are obsessed with trying to get to the boys (they can't get to each other).

Please let me know if you can help me out.

P.S. I'm attaching a picture of baby Peach. She's a few weeks old -- the woman I got her from said six or seven weeks, but she's really tiny.

P.P.S. I also have a good-size cage that can go with them.

peachy.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for saving them Brenda Lee
Sounds like mama needs to see a vet Monday and likely needs to be put on clavamox (I would suggest Dr Stewart in NewMaryland) - make sure the vet is aware that she may be pregnant as that will determine which meds are safe
If you get stuck let me know (I emailed you earlier today re your kijiji post).

If they were in with boys, then they are probably pregnant (babies become sexually mature between 5 and 6 weeks of age) :(
Please watch for signs that the girls are in heat - not all girls show signs but if they do show signs, then they are not pregnant - fluttering their ears, freezing, arching their back and trembling when they are petted on the back near their tail, stopping and starting in bursts, hump one another .... video [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omY7soLcI9g&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

You could get the girls spayed and then they could live with your boys after intros

Here is some info that may be helpful about rehoming rats http://www.ratshackforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23041

Last edited:
Thanks for the information and the video, SQ. I will definitely keep an eye out for the vibrating ears. Here's hoping! I'm taking her to the vet this week. My daughter had previously taken one of our boys, Remi, to Douglas Animal Hospital, and he was seen by Dr. Colleen Bray. She said she was good with him and really seemed to like rats.

Is clavamox effective for ear infections?

Clavamox is good for inner ear infections.
Sometimes other antibiotics are needed but it is a good one to start with.

If it is an inner ear infection then an anti-inflammatory is also usually used to help prevent permanent damage.

Last edited:
Back